Spark plug is white and crusty? Help?

joeszup

• Premium Member
Doing my 8k maintenance and I've not seen this before on any of my bikes.  During the 4k maintenance, I did remove all the plugs and verify that they looked good, checked the gap and reinstalled them.  It looks like this plug has a burn mark on it and is crusted white, almost like oxidation, but not quite (see the red box and red circles). Is this a bad plug or do I have bigger issues here?  Center plug from the bike.

IMG_20171216_162906.jpg

IMG_20171216_162858.jpg

Both those areas you circled are outside the combustion chamber of the piston, so they are not involved in making the spark. It looks like there is surface corrosion from exposure to a damp environment, which is not surprising in winter. No idea what the dark mark is though.

Hard to tell from this angle, but the tip looks fine.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Both those areas you circled are outside the combustion chamber of the piston, so they are not involved in making the spark. It looks like there is surface corrosion from exposure to a damp environment, which is not surprising in winter. No idea what the dark mark is though. 
Hard to tell from this angle, but the tip looks fine.
Yeah, the tip is normal with a little carbon.  I do ride year round, so maybe I didn't get the plug cap seated all the way.  

Archived