Racecar series getting FZ/FJ engines

Stumbled across this today. A somewhat popular racing series in the US is going to add the 847 triple as an engine option.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/media/news/legend-cars-international-announces-new-water-cooled-fuel-injected-fz09-legend-car-engine.html

I used to race bandoleros, which is what a lot of people raced before moving up to legends. 

US legends seen below

LVMS_Bullring_Speer_LoRes_012-lg.jpg

These cars use an air cooled Yamaha 4 cyl. You can get a 1200cc open, or a 1250 sealed. The 1200 is out of an FJ1200. I'm not 100% sure where the 1250 came from, it was never in a bike. Anyway.... The 1200 makes about 130 hp and the cars have to weigh 1300 lbs w/ a driver.  The rear end is a solid axle modified from a Toyota. Fiberglass body on a tubular steel chassis. 

You get your choice of body style. #13 in the pic is a sedan, the other two are coupes. Slightly different wheelbases. You can even get different models of the sedan and coupe styled after 30's cars from Ford, Dodge, Chevy.

As I said, I raced bandoleros (the small cars pictured at the top of the article) but made the decision to focus on education instead of stepping up into a legends car. I've always wanted to get back into the series. Now that I'm about to graduate with my doctorate of pharmacy, my education will allow me to do that. And much more ;)

Seeing they're now going to use the heart of our bikes has me much more interested. Fuel injection and water cooling are a huge win. The air cooled motors lasted about a season if you made every race. I think they ran too hot. The air cooled engines probably make a bit more power. But trust me... These cars do not get all that power to the ground. I believe the old trans was a 5 speed as well. Drivers usually didn't shift. They'd swap the rear gear to one that would top out the straight in 4th gear. The cars could carry enough speed through the turn downshifting wasn't required. Being the FZ/FJ trans is a 6 speed, there might be some shifting that has to go on. 

I'd also like to use it for SCCA events, as well as track days.

I thought it was really cool our bike's engines made it to a racecar series and wanted to share it with you guys. 

I apologize if this isn't the appropriate section. I have no idea where racecars go on a motorcycle forum :)

thats really cool... these little CP3 motors love to spin RPMs, they put out 120whp with an exhaust and tune... add a turbo kit from Extreme Creations and you got a 200whp bruiser ?... ooo hell just add the Woolich Race kit to the car and get Launch Control and QuickShifter, its the bees knees...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I believe the article said it's getting aftermarket cams, and a custom ecu. I have no doubt it'll put down over 130 whp as it comes. If you're participating in the us legends series, you're stuck with how it comes. It's a spec racing class so I don't think you can even load your own tune on it.

But....... I'd definitely be interested in getting one and using it for car track days, auto cross, and maybe even making it street legal to goof around in. 200 whp in 1300 lbs would be pleeeeenty. Probably scary, because they don't put down power super well.

People have made them street legal before!

legendracer.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
web-s6300012-jpg.436684

I actually sat down and re read the article instead of skimming thru it...

I really wanna know how much power them "sealed" motors are gonna put down, good opportunity to swap out cams when it's time to do the 30k mile shim adjustment...

Im hoping one day Hordpower(https://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_69&products_id=566&zenid=v22kjdd3hlgk1g9k176ubo99i5) makes a killer airbox for the FJ or FZ-09 motors...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived