Garmin 595LM, what source of power ?

howie333

The last 550 Garmin GPS I owned had a cradle that just plugged in 12V, and 3.5 mm for voice promps and music. This 595LM's cradle  has a hard wired harness w/ multiple outputs/inputs. I have a few ways I can connect power. Under windshield I can tap 12V accessory, 12V (engine on) accessory, or just straight fused power. The device is fuse @ 3 amps, so i'll still need a relay taken from those 2A accessory points. What would be the better choice since I've got these options ? 

ALSO; should the cell phone charger (accessory jack) be switched or live 12V ?[span]    [/span]

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    t[/span]hanks;[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie...

On mine, I use the Garmin 12v power supply plugged into the switched power outlet on the left side of the display.
The harness w/ this new gps doesn't have a male cigarette plug, just a massive harness too hard to modify. ALSO; should the cell phone charger (accessory jack) be switched or live 12V ?  

• Supporting Member
On mine, I use the Garmin 12v power supply plugged into the switched power outlet on the left side of the display.
The harness w/ this new gps doesn't have a male cigarette plug, just a massive harness too hard to modify. ALSO; should the cell phone charger (accessory jack) be switched or live 12V ?
I'm no expert when it comes to wiring or electronics, but the accessory outlet is a switched 12v power source, you could tap into that, there are also 1 or 2 additional unused 12v sources under the dash, maybe you could get an oem yamaha male connector lead to splice onto your GPS and plug into one of those? 
On my last bike I didnt have a switched accessory socket and I didnt want it direct connected to the battery so I had an aftermarket power cable for my Garmin unit spliced into the "key-on" circuit. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I contacted Garmin tech, told me doesn't  matter, GPS unit can be on accessory when started or not. It's fused w/ 3 amp for chance of surge, but draws 2A or less. I'll make the 2nd accessory jack live for phone charging and install a switched accessory relay for other loads and put the gps on it's own 3 amp fuse.   

[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie...

Page 22 of the 595LM manual..."Insert a new fast-blow fuse that has the same current, such as 1 A or 2 A". Can you check what fuse there is in the harness/plug? Agree with @builderbob ... that accessory circuit should be just fine.
There's a 3 amp fuse in the fuse holder. Garmin tech stated it's rated larger for power surge. There must be a reason they went w/3 amp fuse.  Could it be an upgrade to that model and were a few fuse blows w/ the lower fuse rating ?  [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie

Archived