Brake Performance

Hey folks. I know this topic has been discussed previously but I would like to hear thoughts on what I think is an issue with the performance of my brakes. I have a 2017 model which I am still running in at 500 miles approx on the clock. I would think by this point any bedding in period for the brakes would be complete yet the effectiveness and stopping power is easily the worst of any bike I have owned. This surprises me not only for that reason but also because when I test rode the bike I don't recall the brakes being anywhere near as bad, and also I was riding an MT09 today which I assume have the same brakes and they were massively improved on initial feel and overall power.
I appreciate some people here will think the brakes are great or better than what they have had before on previous bikes,but something doesn't stack up - they are objectively poor yet that shouldn't be the case based on the previous demo I rode, the feel of the MT09 brakes, and frankly the lack of overall criticism. Any constructive feedback on the subject would be really appreciated. Thanks. David.

People seem to love the EBC HH brake pads.

However, it sounds like something is wrong. The brakes should not be terrible. I would start by bleeding the brakes. If problem persists contact your dealership for a warranty claim. Or hell, skip step one and see if your dealership will do something out of warranty.

Best of luck!

'15 FJ09

People seem to love the EBC HH brake pads.  
However, it sounds like something is wrong. The brakes should not be terrible. I would start by bleeding the brakes. If problem persists contact your dealership for a warranty claim. Or hell, skip step one and see if your dealership will do something out of warranty.

Best of luck!

Cheers mate. Yeah I think I'll speak to them....probably should have done that today when I was there test riding the MT09...idiot...

• 4 months later...
rockafella50,

Did you get this resolved?
The brakes on my 2019 GT work fine, but man that rear brake is weak-a$$
I'm used to Kawi brakes and they are excellent compared to the brakes on the Yamaha.

Cheers,

Rob
Canada

rockafella50, 
Did you get this resolved?
The brakes on my 2019 GT work fine, but man that rear brake is weak-a$$
I'm used to Kawi brakes and they are excellent compared to the brakes on the Yamaha.

Cheers,

Rob
Canada
Check for this:

https://fj-09.org/thread/6917/rear-brake-lever-travel

(Video at the end easiest way to see the issue I had).

Mine were awful before this. Now, I only use the rear brake around town, it's spot on.

Archived