Hello from the UK . FJ09/Tracer versus Triumph Tiger 1050

totfit

IMG_0208.jpg

Hey, like-minded friends-to-be, hello from Devon, UK.
Half Italian & half Scottish, motorbikes are in my DNA, and I've ridden daily since 14 in Rome on my first bike, a Garelli 50.
Past bikes include a Yamaha FJ1200, a Suzuki V-Strom 650, and a Ducati Scrambler 350 and loads of Vespas etc for city commutes.
My previous trusty steed - traded in at 29,000 miles for the Tracer, was a Triumph Tiger 1050 that I had from new in 2009.
The Fj09/Tracer is better in every way: same triple engine design, exactly the same power, almost equal torque, but 30kg lighter and a much lower CG.
As such the Tracer instantly feels more nimble, sportier, and accelerates more eagerly.
I love it! First tour will be to Ireland this summer. 
Full Givi Trekker system arriving soon.
I am absolutely certain I made a good choice, and am looking forward to picking your brains on all topics FJ09/Tracer related.
Rory Aitken

I made the same jump from a Tiger 1050 when the Tracer was released here. I have come to the same conclusions as you concerning the performance differences. Beginning my 4th season with the Tracer and still loving it.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

IMG_0208.jpg

Hey, like-minded friends-to-be, hello from Devon, UK.
Half Italian & half Scottish, motorbikes are in my DNA, and I've ridden daily since 14 in Rome on my first bike, a Garelli 50.
Past bikes include a Yamaha FJ1200, a Suzuki V-Strom 650, and a Ducati Scrambler 350 and loads of Vespas etc for city commutes.
My previous trusty steed - traded in at 29,000 miles for the Tracer, was a Triumph Tiger 1050 that I had from new in 2009.
The Fj09/Tracer is better in every way: same triple engine design, exactly the same power, almost equal torque, but 30kg lighter and a much lower CG.
As such the Tracer instantly feels more nimble, sportier, and accelerates more eagerly.
I love it! First tour will be to Ireland this summer. 
Full Givi Trekker system arriving soon.
I am absolutely certain I made a good choice, and am looking forward to picking your brains on all topics FJ09/Tracer related.
Rory Aitken

Hi Rory 
Welcome to the forum, I'm new to the forum too and have owned my Tracer from new in July.  I noticed your picture on the GT Motorcycles Facebook page - I'm in the Plymouth area too.  Small world!

I made the same jump from a Tiger 1050 when the Tracer was released here. I have come to the same conclusions as you concerning the performance differences. Beginning my 4th season with the Tracer and still loving it.
Hello and sorry to hijack post but I don't know how to reach gabefzr6, 
I am interested in taking off the windshield of my FJ. I saw that you (made?) a little shield out of plastic to clean up the bracket that was left behind after you took of the windshield. Could you tell me how you made (or where you bought) the shield? I really like the look of the mod. Thank you, Jason (jasonsduca@gmail.com)

@jasonduca as you quoted @gabefxr6 he will get a notification of your post and may pick it up and reply. Another way is to add the "@" sign before a person's username (like I did when using yours in this post) and they will get a notification this way as well.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Welcome @jasonduca, I just got here myself. I'm looking to do the same stock windshield mod as you because mine doesn't control the wind correctly for my height. I rode into work today for an hour without any windshield at all—much better.

My plan is to lay out my cut line using blue painter's tape with the windshield installed, then use a rotary tool with a cutoff wheel to trim the top of the windshield. I'll use a propane torch to slightly melt the newly cut edges: this melts the edges (edit: "flame polishes") slightly and makes them transparent like stock for a nice finish (you just have to work slowly and carefully to not melt anything). Maybe spray paint the backside black.

If I mess it up, I'm not too worried because the bike functions fine without any windshield, and the stock windshield doesn't work for me at all anyway so I won't be sad if I mess it up.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and sorry to hijack post but I don't know how to reach gabefzr6, 
I am interested in taking off the windshield of my FJ. I saw that you (made?) a little shield out of plastic to clean up the bracket that was left behind after you took of the windshield. Could you tell me how you made (or where you bought) the shield? I really like the look of the mod. Thank you, Jason (jasonsduca@gmail.com)

The first version I made was okay.  Sitting straight up gave no turbulence around my helmet but, if I moved my upper body to either side the airflow was pretty rough.  The second version is wider across the bottom and fixed that issue.  I used ABS plastic and a heat gun to help add a little curve to the centerline. 

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Archived