Lowering links + luggage + pillion?

morkys

I have only 1200 km on my 2017 FJ09 and at 190 LBS out of the shower, I find the suspension is ok. No major issues. I have not taken the time to set the sag (preload) nor played with the rebound settings.

I imagine having had lowering links installed, and adding luggage, I should set sag with me on the bike in order to not only get the most out of the suspension, but to avoid bottoming etc. If tripping, me and with gear and luggage when packed for a trip. Same go for adding a passenger right? I imagine the more weight I put on the bike, the higher the preload should be, generally speaking....especially having installed the lowering links. I like being able to flat foot now. I wouldn't want anything lower. In fact, if there were links that lowered the bike 1/4" to 3/8" that would still be worth it combined with a lower seat.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• 3 weeks later...
I have a set of the factory lowering links on my 2016 with a set of Shad SH36 hard bags and a new addition of a Shad 48 liter trunk.  No issues even with bottoming out. Although I ride alone.  If you do go with the lowering links definitely get a lower side stand as the bike will stand much more upright with the stock side stand. I went with the adjustable T-rex side stand. If you are handy and have a welder you could just remove yours and cut it down .5" and re-weld it.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

I have a set of the factory lowering links on my 2016 with a set of Shad SH36 hard bags and a new addition of a Shad 48 liter trunk.  No issues even with bottoming out. Although I ride alone.  If you do go with the lowering links definitely get a lower side stand as the bike will stand much more upright with the stock side stand. I went with the adjustable T-rex side stand. If you are handy and have a welder you could just remove yours and cut it down .5" and re-weld it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I don't find the stock kick stand has changed that badly but I could adjust it.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• 4 weeks later...
I would rather get a longer side stand. With the loaded saddlebags the bike feels like is about to fall. I even took it to the dealer to make sure it was not bend. But I am not lowering the bike, I have the feeling it may go a bit higher with a properly adjusted suspension sag (I know next to nothing about suspension). An adjustable side stand that also lengthens would be ideal.

Archived