Benefits of an ECU flash for us Europeans?

Morning,

I've been pondering if there are any benefits for us Europeans in performing an ECU flash?  I realise that it's always beneficial, or rather necessary, to do so if changing the exhaust.  However I'm wondering if there are any reasons to perform an upgrade whilst keeping the standard exhaust?  I'm aware that in the US the bikes performance is restricted via the ECU.  I've also heard that our Euro bikes have some sort of throttling of performance in the mid-range in certain gears, presumably to meet emission regs.  Does anybody know the "full list" of performance limitations applied to our Euro bikes?

I should add that I'm happy with my bikes performance.  The throttle is a little jittery at low revs when trundling around town but it's nothing that bothers me particularly.  Plus it's easy to fix; just drop it down a couple of gears and wind on the throttle.  :P

CS

I think you covered it well: no restrictions that I’m aware of and only needed if you change something like exhaust.

On the jittery throttle though, I installed a “kev mod” which is a small box of electrickery that goes in-line with the O2 sensor (lambda sensor) and it helps with the transition between open and closed loop ECU maps. These swap over at just the sort of revs you need when doing town riding and result in the jerkiness you’re mentioning. It worked wonders for my UK Tracer.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Well I've managed to answer my own question.  I contacted a firm in the UK, S-Tec Performance, who appear to be the firm to go to with regards to tuning the MT-09 and Tracer.  I received the following response:

There are many benefits of having the ecu flash even when using the standard exhaust system. I currently have the 2016 Tracer which i use for all my development work and have used it with the Akra Ti system plus the standard system. The main benefits are a smooth throttle response and a gain in power and torque over the standard bike. Below are the details of the 'Mail In' bench flash and there is no need to have the bike setup on the dyno when using my new fuel and etv maps as they do work very well.

With the ecu flash you will get new fuel and etv maps to suit your setup plus the following options all of which i would recommend with the exception of default startup in A mode but some people like this option.

Disable 5th & 6th gear speed restrictions (Top speed limiter)

Disable AIS ( left on if you prefer more popping from exhaust on aftermarket system)

Disable Injection decel cut (this will give you a smooth on/off throttle and feels like engine braking has been reduced)

Disable o2 sensor ( closed loop)

The o2 sensor in the exhaust is removed and switched off in the flash. Basically this allows me to re-map the closed loop area of the fuel map and therefor get the AFR correct in this area. There are two fuel maps on all FI controlled bikes, the IAP map controls the cruise and smaller throttle openings and this is controlled by the o2 sensor. The TPS maps are used for larger throttle openings on acceleration.

Reduce fan operating temps (On at 95 off at 90)

Default start up in A mode(again personal choice)

I also always recommend removing the small section of foam located at the front underside of the fuel tank just above the airbox intake, this restricts the airflow and reduces the overall performance.

All the modes work as normal but the etv (electronic throttle valve) maps are improved for smoother throttle response.

They do a mail-in service which I am now seriously considering.  Anyone else given them a try?

CS

Well I've managed to answer my own question.  I contacted a firm in the UK, S-Tec Performance, who appear to be the firm to go to with regards to tuning the MT-09 and Tracer.  I received the following response: 
There are many benefits of having the ecu flash even when using the standard exhaust system. I currently have the 2016 Tracer which i use for all my development work and have used it with the Akra Ti system plus the standard system. The main benefits are a smooth throttle response and a gain in power and torque over the standard bike. Below are the details of the 'Mail In' bench flash and there is no need to have the bike setup on the dyno when using my new fuel and etv maps as they do work very well.

With the ecu flash you will get new fuel and etv maps to suit your setup plus the following options all of which i would recommend with the exception of default startup in A mode but some people like this option.

Disable 5th & 6th gear speed restrictions (Top speed limiter)

Disable AIS ( left on if you prefer more popping from exhaust on aftermarket system)

Disable Injection decel cut (this will give you a smooth on/off throttle and feels like engine braking has been reduced)

Disable o2 sensor ( closed loop)

The o2 sensor in the exhaust is removed and switched off in the flash. Basically this allows me to re-map the closed loop area of the fuel map and therefor get the AFR correct in this area. There are two fuel maps on all FI controlled bikes, the IAP map controls the cruise and smaller throttle openings and this is controlled by the o2 sensor. The TPS maps are used for larger throttle openings on acceleration.

Reduce fan operating temps (On at 95 off at 90)

Default start up in A mode(again personal choice)

I also always recommend removing the small section of foam located at the front underside of the fuel tank just above the airbox intake, this restricts the airflow and reduces the overall performance.

All the modes work as normal but the etv (electronic throttle valve) maps are improved for smoother throttle response.

They do a mail-in service which I am now seriously considering.  Anyone else given them a try?

CS

There are loads of reviews over on this forum, one example:

https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3867.html

I believe the user is called 'triple trouble' who organises it, he started a thread somewhere on that board where you can see the process of him finding S-tec and working on a map with them. I can't see a single disappointed user over there.

I believe they do the Woolwich racing flash, so also the option of a quickshifter and autoblipper.

Edit: a thread specifically for the tracer, if you wanted specific reviews

https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-tracer-technical/3040-tracer-ecu-flash.html

There are loads of reviews over on this forum, one example: 
https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3867.html

I believe the user is called 'triple trouble' who organises it, he started a thread somewhere on that board where you can see the process of him finding S-tec and working on a map with them. I can't see a single disappointed user over there.

I believe they do the Woolwich racing flash, so also the option of a quickshifter and autoblipper.

Edit: a thread specifically for the tracer, if you wanted specific reviews

https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/mt-09-tracer-technical/3040-tracer-ecu-flash.html
Ah great thanks for those links. 
CS

A US spec "ECU bin file" will not work on EU spec bikes- happened to me but an EU spec bin file was used on a US bike,everything worked but the bike wouldnt fire up... just remember if you send your ecu outside of EU, remind the tuner to use a EU spec bin file... I guess the EU bikes got a few extra wires going to the ECU probably due to the immobilizer device...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived