Another Steering Damper Thread?!?

mufflerbearings

Dredging up an issue that has already been beat to death is probably not the best way to introduce myself to the forum.  But I promise I searched and did not find an answer to my specific question!
I'm going to get a steering damper for my 2016 FJ.  I already have a Scotts damper in use on my dirt bike.  Since I can't ride both the dirt bike and the FJ at the same time, I'd like to move the Scotts between bikes; remove two allen bolts and it's off in a minute.  As far as I can tell, Scotts does not make a mount for the FJ.  So I'm considering buying this for  use on the FJ:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Damper-With-Mounting-Bracket-for-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-FJ-09-15-16-17-/112259091966
For anyone who has this Chinese Scotts knockoff and mount: is the knockoff damper an exact copy of the Scotts as far as outside dimensions and mounting holes?  I'm thinking that if the knockoff damper is complete junk but the mount is decent, I can just use my Scotts on the mount from the knockoff.
Is this a dumb idea?

Why do you think you need a steering damper to begin with?

Although the front isn't really squirrelly and I haven't experienced significant head shake on this bike, the front does feel a little unsettled after it gets lofted a bit. The damper has saved my bacon countless times on the dirt bike (too fast into rock gardens, etc.), so I feel like it would just provide an extra bit of safety on the FJ.

I suppose I don't really NEED the damper on the FJ; I just like the "feel" of the handling with one in place.

I agree with @mufflerbearings and would have a steering damper if A) they weren't so expensive and B) I trusted the Chinese knockoffs...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

IMHO that unsettling front issue is solved by riding differently.

If you know it gets squirrelly (nice adjective BTW) when you crack open the throttle sharply, then do it slightly less agressively, or lean forward, or don’t hold the bars so tight, or don’t do it with luggage. There’s so much fun to be had on this bike that I’m sure you can adapt your riding style to cope with this minor quirk of the geometry.

If the OP was talking about wider suspension issues then I’d say go for it and upgrade the forks and shock, but for this aspect alone: ride well instead.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

IMHO that unsettling front issue is solved by riding differently...

I don't agree with the logic here.. there would never be a reason to upgrade anything on the bike.

Many bikes come with steering dampers. The FJ has a light front end and short wheel base (which I enjoy the benefits in maneuverability). Suspension and riding style can help, but the geometry will always be the same. Why do you think Yamaha extended the swingarm on the newer FJs?

I just don't understand the resistance to someone installing a steering damper.. it's a normal thing to put on a bike to increase stability.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

IMO money can be better spent on suspension before buying a steering damper. But to each their own.

Agreed. Suspension should be addressed first.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

IMHO that unsettling front issue is solved by riding differently...
I just don't understand the resistance to someone installing a steering damper.. it's a normal thing to put on a bike to increase stability.
No resistance from me at all. Just an alternative suggestion. I’m always very happy for people to add stuff to their bikes and report back so we all learn. ?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
I have not had any head shake at all since I've dropped the front end about 10mm relative to the rear and firmed up the suspension significantly from the stock settings.

The bike was technically dropped an inch in the rear with new dogbones, and the front moved down about 35mm, so it also rides a lot lower. I ahd to shave the inside of the back cowl around the top of the forks to get full lock.

Now I can accelerate hard and get great road feel with not even a quiver in the front.

Archived