Fault Code P0353 (Cylinder 3 misfiring)

I have this recurrent (as in on all the time, even after clearing) fault code, and the engine is running poorly. My dealer indicated that Cylinder #3 was misfiring and that this was the left most cylinder. As I just finished installing a McCruise cruise control, which takes its tach info from the coil lead on the left most cylinder, I thought I might have gotten something wrong during the install. However, I subsequently discovered the FJ-09 Service Manual states the left most Cylinder is actually #1, so not the fault here. As well, returning the bike to stock wiring for this cylinder makes no difference in how it runs.

I'm guessing there might be a an open or short circuit in the Cylinder #3 coil wire somewhere along its run, or perhaps I have a bad bad coil (at 800 miles on the odometer). I will remove the tupperware tomorrow and visually inspect the coil wiring to/from Cyinder #3 for any inconsistencies.

Can anyone tell me how I might test the coil leads for proper voltage? If that is in spec, how might the coil itself be tested?

How easy is it to drop a new coil?

Thanks and Cheers,
Doug

• Supporting Member
I have this recurrent (as in on all the time, even after clearing) fault code, and the engine is running poorly. My dealer indicated that Cylinder #3 was misfiring and that this was the left most cylinder.  
I'm guessing there might be a an open or short circuit in the Cylinder #3 coil wire somewhere along its run, or perhaps I have a bad bad coil (at 800 miles on the odometer).

At 800 miles, the bike is brand new and under warranty, as @duhs10 stated, have the dealer fix it.

If the dealer diagnosed a misfire on cylinder #3, on a nearly new bike, why did they let you ride away without scheduling an appointment for warranty repair?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The only test for coil packs that I’m aware of is to ohm it out, which is a lousy test IMHO. Stick coil packs are also tricky to test dynamically without proper wiring adapters due to their physical length and the length of the connector and available areas to ground the spark plug. You’ll see what I mean when you get in there...

Recommend you simply switch coils: move 3 to either cyl 1 or 2. If the problem stays on cyl 3 you have a wiring or ecm issue. If the problem follows the coil, then it’s likely the coil itself.

Cyl 3 is indeed the furthest to the RH side on this engine.

Warranty? It depends on what failed. If the coil is bad, then it might possibly be covered. If the wiring is damaged because of your cruise install, or something else that was touched while working on the bike, then it’s not Yamaha’s fault but the last person who worked on it.

Depending on the year of your bike, you can also activate spark in DIAG mode through the IC (15-16 models). Each coil pack can also be checked to see if it’s firing that way. Much better test than a VOM. 17 and later models require a laptop with the dealer software.

-Skip

Warranty? It depends on what failed. If the coil is bad, then it might possibly be covered. If the wiring is damaged because of your cruise install, or something else that was touched while working on the bike, then it’s not Yamaha’s fault but the last person who worked on it.

Skip, my sentiments as well. This is  2015, so I should be able to check Spark in Diagnostic mode. I like your idea to swap coils and see if the error follows the offending coil. I receive the yamaha adapter for my obd2 code reader on Monday so I should be able to see this then. Is there any way to view the P035x code in Diagnostics Mode without a reader?

Thanks and Cheers,
Doug

Forgot something last night: I don’t know if the new P Misfire codes can be set by a Fouled spark plug, but other manufacturers have the capability to detect a dirty/defective plug.

Something else to consider and easy to check.

-Skip

Yes, on 15 and 16 models you can access codes and activate various sensors in DIAG mode.
No need to wait for your scan tool and adapter.  I'm sure there's good YouTube video's out there, but here's a link on how to access DIAG Mode on the FJ-09:

https://fj-09.org/thread/488/hard-starting-randomly?page=4&scrollTo=13311

Fault code list

https://fj-09.org/post/7266/thread

I'm sure you can also search the forums for a better How-To. (This was easiest for me to find). HTH,
-Skip

Is this the same greyghost who was replacing the clutch? How'd you make out with that? Possible that maybe something became disconnected with the work going on? Not sure what else was done with the bike, my bet would be on something not being connected correctly.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

OK all...

Still in the soup here.

Gerdawg, yes it's me re the problems with a slipper clutch install. I reverted to the original clutch. All is good there. Other fish to fry just now, like why my bike runs so poorly. Yes, it's possibe something got disconnected resulting in the fault code for cylinder 3. I will tear the bike back down and investigate.

I received my AL329 code reader along with the proper adapter, only to discover that it does not read the 2015 fault codes, despite updating to new firmware. No clue how to proceed here, although I did see an FZ-09 thread where this issue was mentioned specifically in reference to 2015 bikes. Adding to my inability to diagnose in my garage, if I scroll through the Diagnostic codes on the bike, fault code 33 is not present in the list (#3 cylinder misfiring). Go figure. However, the dealer was able to read it...

At present, I'm left with a visual inspect of wiring. if nothing obvious there, I may have to prostrate myself before my dealer and ask for absolution. Unfortunately, the wiring for my McCruise and driving lights has them baffled and, since they won't let me on the shop floor, it may be hours before they can figure those things out and make (hopefully) some progress on the misfiring issue. They're reasonable but, as far as they're concerned, I'm a month out of warranty with some interesting mods.

And so it goes.

Sounds like a lot going on. Can you give us background on some stuff. When did you get the bike? How much did you add/what did you change. Did the problems start before or after the changes? Need a bit of history here to lead you in the right direction. Was this a Savage bike or something to that effect?

Barring that info I'd agree, swap coil packs and see if the issue follows. Any pcv added to the bike, etc? Seen coil issues there with the pcv unit being the culprit.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Hi Doug - Actually what you are seeing in DIAG channel 60/61 makes sense if the code is CURRENT or ACTIVE. The code number will not move into channel 60 until it has been repaired, or isn't current anymore. At that point, you might see the number 35 (cyl number 3 misfire, I think 33 is cyl #1) in DIAG 60, and 01 in DIAG 61 (meaning, one fault code in history).
DIAG 60= (historic) Fault code number
DIAG 61= number of historic Faults (NOTE I didn't say occurrences, it's not possible to see the number of times it happened on the older DIAG bikes) 

The dealer probably saw the code number on your IC either just before the bike was started or while it was idling. If the check engine light doesn't turn off after 2 seconds, usually there is a code number visible in the IC display - you might have to press the buttons on the LH side of the IC to see the active code number but I think it normally pops right up.

If it were me, I would still proceed as you had planned before - pull the tank, and check the plugs for fouling, and swap coil number 3 to another cylinder to see if the problem follows the coil, or stays in cyl #3.

Sorry that the OBDII reader won't connect but you can still use it on your cars. 
Let us know what you find.

-Skip

Hi all. I appreciate your thoughts and assistance. Some history:

Bike was purchased 2 years ago, and lives in WI. I'm here in the summers a bit and decided, after visiting for many bikeless summers, that I would pick up a bike here. 800 miles on the odo is testament to how little I've actually ridden over the past two summers.

The bike had it's 600 mile service this past winter, and sat in my garage until later this summer when I came to visit again, this time with farkles. I was in and out for much of the summer, so timing dictated I remove the ecu for flashing by 2WD when I first arrived and re-install on a subsequent visit. I did not actually ride the bike post 600 mile service. I returned a month after removing the ECU to replace it and, since the bike was apart, proceeded to add some farkles.

I added McCruise cruise control, Denali driving lights, VStream wind screen, flashing LED rear brake light, Ohlins FKS504s, radiator guard. I attempted (unsuccessfully) to replace the oem clutch with the slipper clutch, as discussed in another thread here. Finally, wanting just to ride a bit instead of wrenching, I returned the oem clutch to it's basket and went for a ride. I noticed right away that my bike was running poorly, like a tractor, and the TCS and Check Engine lights remained lit. I ordered a fault code reader but, anxious to resolve the issue in the time before its arrival, returned to my dealer to see if they could perhaps remove the fault codes or tell me what might be going on. Apparently the

Apparently flashing the ECU can result in the simultaneous TCS and CEL issue, with some inmates complaining of unnecessary engine roughness which improved once the fault codes were cleared. Not so in my case. The dealer found that Cylnder #3 was misfiring.

So, not knowing wether this misfiring resulted from the 600 mile service, the months waiting in my (heated) garage, or as a result of my wrenching, I'm left scratching my head as to the cause. I tore the bike apart again today, removed the air box, and checked all the wires and connections, removed and re-plugged the wires at the coils. Same result. Bike runs stupid.

The codes for the three cylinders, 33,34,35 are not present in my bike's list of diagnostic codes. Furthermore, not being able to find the original code displayed anywhere, and not being aware I could read fault codes while the bike was running, I chose not to swap the coils as recommended above and put it back together.

Current plan is to return to the dealer Tuesday am at open, and let them diagnose the issue. I suspect a faulty coil. They do not stock them or I would have purchased one swapped the #3 out during todays look around. Can you tell I'd rather be riding at this point? :-)

Cheers,
Doug

Archived