• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Greetings from NE Ohio

Happy to be part of the FJ family!  Traded in a nice VFR Interceptor for a new 2017 FJ 09. Also, previously had a 2008 Tiger, which has similar characteristics to the FJ.  I can tell already though, the FJ will be in the family longer than the Triumph.  Already purchased a few essentials that will make the riding experience more satisfying.  I don't get any kick-back for this, but Mid-Ohio Yamaha in Mt. Vernon was by far the best dealer experience I've had in over 30 years of biking.  Looking forward to the road ahead! 

FJ8pg.jpg
FJ2jpg.jpg
FJ4jpg.jpg
FJ5pg.jpg

• Premium Member
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum!

lots of good information, just search or ask.....

Welcome (not been here long myself), that blue looks great.

I'd be interested how the R&G rear hugger performs, I've fitted the R&G front mudguard extender but haven't decided which rear hugger to go for yet.

Safe riding

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. Very pleased with the rear R&G hugger. Took all of 10 minutes to install, and the fit was very accurate.  The quality and strength of the piece is better than the stock rear fender, and the extra 30% of length does keep the underside more tidy. Plus, it looks like it belongs on the bike. 

• 3 weeks later...
So, I have a general question on tires.  NE Ohio has the worst roads on the planet, and I was the lucky winner of picking up a 1.5" nail in my rear Dunlop with 800 miles on it. Very fortunately I made it home without incident and was able to do a standard plug job.  It's holding air fine - no loss in pressure at all.  I took the bike out this evening for about 3 hours - highway and city mix, to make sure it would still hold air after moving on pavement. I checked the pressure at home, and again no loss whatsoever.  But I did notice in a 6"-8" area around the plug, it was hot to the touch - substantially warmer than the rest of the tire.  Is this cause for concern for any length of ride?  I'm trying to avoid replacing virtually a new tire at this point in the season. Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

This is just my .02, there is absolutely no way I would willingly ride on a plugged tire. Will I ride on a plugged tire for a short period of time to get out of a jam, yes.

Short answer, replace the tire. The pressure dynamics on a motorcycle tire are MUCH different than those on a plugged car tire.

Just get a proper internal patch done, I have done thousands of them and never had an issue. Plenty that have been taken to track days as well. The rope plugs are a good temporary fix but can come out. I once plugged a dirty great big tyre vagina that used about ten ropes doubled over to get me home. I ran over a offcut of angle that fell out of a builders ute. Was not happy!!

Saw your post today! Congrats on the new bike, it's a superb purchase for sure. I was also initially interested in getting the Tiger, but some youtube suggestion videos led me to this three headed beast and it's been fun since I picked it up in 2017. Hit me up if you want to ride, there's a nice stretch on Route 91. 

Saw your post today! Congrats on the new bike, it's a superb purchase for sure. I was also initially interested in getting the Tiger, but some youtube suggestion videos led me to this three headed beast and it's been fun since I picked it up in 2017. Hit me up if you want to ride, there's a nice stretch on Route 91. 
Gladly!  
Two things that I feel the FJ stands head and shoulders over the Tiger is weight and electronics. There's no question that the Brits haven't mastered yet what the Japanese do so well. The Tiger was fun and fast, but it's the little quirky things - like it not starting immediately after refueling, or just cutting out momentarily at highway speed - that left you uneasy. I'm 60 years old and lifting the Tiger on the center stand was becoming a herniating chore. (Yeah, I need to hit the gym more).  Lifting the FJ, and throwing it into a nice twisty is effortless. The more I ride this bike, the further the ratings go up!

Archived