individual shims, where to get?

ryan

doing my valves at 23,xxx miles
intakes all within spec
exhaust are tight
calculated out what i need
i tried searching here, tried googling it, i do not want a kit as i only need 5 shims

where can i buy individual shims?
thanks

They’re 7.48mm IIRC (the other common size is 9.48mm and I mix up which models take which.) Measure the diameter to be sure.

You can also order them from Yamaha, the Valve page of the parts fische will list optional part numbers for every size shim they offer.

-Skip

Rockymountainatvmc.com sells individual shims for $1.99/ea and keeps them in stock. Their web site can be annoying by only showing parts for a specific model bike. If so, get shims for a Yamaha WR250R. They're the same 7.48 shims we use.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
Tip: Set valve clearance to max spec on ALL valves. john
I will get almost there with exhaust (all were tight). Not yet decided on intake. All were in spec, so might just bump them out north of mid-point. Mind you, that shim sizing example noted in the service manual (3-7) looks curious. 

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Tip: Set valve clearance to max spec on ALL valves. john
I will get almost there with exhaust (all were tight). Not yet decided on intake. All were in spec, so might just bump them out north of mid-point. Mind you, that shim sizing example noted in the service manual (3-7) looks curious.

How so?

-Skip

How so?  
-Skip
Example refers to the IN range of 0.11-0.20, with the measured lash of 0.25. The new shim is calculated to bring the lash back to 0.20 rather than a value somewhere part way through the specified range. Why pick an extreme value on such a wide range.

Ah, I understand what your saying now. Yes, I agree it should be more in the middle of the range, rather than the loose side.

Did I ever post up the formula that I use? It gives you the far tightest and the loosest possible value, then you can just pick one based on the measured spec - for example if one clearance felt more on the tight side vs the loose side in feel, you could pick the shim to match that situation.

-S

Once upon a time a younger version of myself took a class at Kawasaki Motor Corp. given by Martin Carney. The class was called "High Performance Racing Engines". We learned how to degree cams, tinker with intake/ exhaust timing to tailor a powerband to the job at hand and many other important details to building a fast and reliable engine. The most controversial subject was setting the valve clearance. Martin told us to set the clearance to the max recommended spec (or a close as possible) and never cut corners. If that meant shimming al 16 valves, so be it. He went into detail why this was so important. My previous training was the exact opposite. I tried the NEW technique and was surprised how well it worked. I guess that's why Martin Carney was a factory instructor. I have used this on my street bikes of various brands with excellent results. I have used this on the latest 4 stroke MX engines and again excellent results. You won't know until you try it. My "High Performance Racing Engines" training certificate is posted in my shop.
john

@piotrek Here it is. This is the Honda method, (they don't provide charts):

"Calculate the new shim thickness using the equation below:

A = (B-C) + D

A: New shim thickness
B: Recorded valve clearance (mm)
C: Specified valve clearance (mm)   <---------- this is where you can use the high range # and the low range # in 2 [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span] [/span]separate calculations to give you a shim size range.
D: Old shim thickness "

I find this much easier than using the chart, even though it means doing some math. smiley.png

-S

• Supporting Member
Thanks @skippert ! Looks good... you get a range of shim sizes that will bring things into spec. I have something of sorts to help play with shim sizes... plug-in measured lash, target lash and size of factory shim, yielding a calculated new shim size. Since nominal sizes are what they are, I enter a closest nominal value and get new calculated lash. I could just do the last step... but that's no fun.

Capture1.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Archived