Hello from colorful Colorado

runnerhiker

• Premium Member
I am going to my local dealer tomorrow morning to see if I can make a deal on a new Tracer 900 GT.  I signed on to this forum a few hours ago to check what people say about the Yamaha triples.  I have never ridden a Yamaha triple but I have had three Yamaha's before.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Wow, really excited for you runnerhiker, I recently got my GT but had been riding a triple beforehand (a Triumph), hope you like it after a test ride.

IMO riding the Yamaha in A mode gets the best out of the GTs engine, but obviously that has a lot to do with personal riding style. I'm loving the torque the engine has, but do miss the 'burble and pop' of the Triumph engine (which the GT doesn't have with the stock pipes). 

Hope you like the bike and do a deal.

Cheers
Steve

• Supporting Member
I have never ridden a Yamaha triple but I have had three Yamaha's before.

I previously owned a Gen II FZ1 dyno tuned to 140hp/70lb-ft torque.  I thought I would be taking a loss by "downgrading" to an 850cc, not so!! 

The CP3 motor is a GEM, paired with the light, flickable chassis, it truly is an eye opener, a very impressive package.  Try to find a ride review where they dont praise the motor, journalists and everyday Joe's alike love it. 

The bike performs just as well on a sporty day ride as it does on a week-long road trip.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I made the deal earlier today, rode home the long way and put 100 miles on the odometer.  I traded in a '17 Triumph Bonneville T120 and financed the difference.  I am delighted with the bike, will post more impressions later today.
IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
@runnerhiker - Congratulations, and welcome to the family! The Tracer/FJ is a really entertaining motorcycle, and I’m sure you’re going to love it. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

• Premium Member
My first impressions, after 100 miles today.

Great engine, powerful and torquey, it meet my expectations compared to the 85 HP Bonneville I traded in.  Engine vibrations or smoothness seems ok but it's too soon to tell yet.  The chain sprockets are geared numerically high (more rev's for road speed) compared to the Triumph I traded in and also compared to my '17 KTM SuperDuke - this is a plus for me, I get better acceleration and I will get to use all 6 gears in the tranny.

Ergonomics - I don't like the seat, it tilts forward, it's too hard, it's not shaped right for me.  I ordered the Yamaha comfort seat at a 20% discount.  The pegs, handlebars, seat triangle suits me well, it's shaped the way I like it.

Wind screen - seems noisy but adequate wind protection.  The jury is still out, lets see what happens as the temperature gets colder.  The system to raise and lower it works great.

Controls, display, electronics - I really like all of this, no surprises here, I had high expectations and Yamaha delivered.  I love the TFT display.  The left hand control cluster has lots of buttons but they are well laid out.

Miscellaneous - I love the saddlebags, I had a 2008 FJR so this Tracer is very familiar.  I ordered the rear rack, also got 20% discount on it, I am not sure how I will use it.  I don't like the color of the wheels, I am going to put off making any decision on changing this appearance, I am thinking of removing the paint from the outer edge and polishing, or maybe painting the entire wheel some form of light grey or silver.

I made an appointment for the 600 mile service for next Wednesday.  I gotta go ride the next three days.  Yeah!

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Congratulations runnerhiker,

I think the seat is a 'marmite' item (not sure that translates from the UK to US, means you either love it or hate it, no inbetween) the screen definitely needs changing (see various discussions on the forum). The screen adjustment doesn't seem to make any difference, though I suppose it might once a 'tall' screen is fitted.

I too did what you have, picked mine up on a Friday, booked the 600 mile service for Tuesday (Dealership not open on Monday) so that I could ride it to France for a week on the Wednesday! 

Enjoy your new bike.

Cheers
Steve

Welcome! Where in CO are you in? I spent most of my life in CO (Denver/COS) and just moved away a few years ago. Because although they're not that bad, I got sick of the winters and the population has nearly doubled since 1990 and it's just not the same as it was. I want to be able to ride year round so I'm now in CA. People ask me why I would move away from Colorado to California and I always say "to get away from all the Californians!" Ama rite?

• Premium Member
I live in Niwot, rural Boulder County, halfway between Boulder and Longmont.  I ride year round here, although a lot less in Dec-Jan-Feb.  But always some.  I moved here five years ago from southeast Texas, where weather limitations was the heat and humidity in the middle of the summer would make me ride from 6am to noon.  So you see, I just took your spot in Colorado!

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
I moved here five years ago from southeast Texas... So you see, I just took your spot in Colorado!
Too funny... I moved from California to Southeast Texas. There really is some sort of equilibrium balance in the universe.

I live in Niwot, rural Boulder County, halfway between Boulder and Longmont.  I ride year round here, although a lot less in Dec-Jan-Feb.  But always some.  I moved here five years ago from southeast Texas, where weather limitations was the heat and humidity in the middle of the summer would make me ride from 6am to noon.  So you see, I just took your spot in Colorado!
I know exactly where that is, I have a good friend who also rides that grew up there and his parents still live there. I love CO from May to October but after 25+ years I started to loathe November to April as a rider ha! Enjoy my place in beautiful Colorado! I'll always call it home, but for now I'm exploring other lands! Hence my user name

Archived