Two for one, sell SV650 & FJR for Tracer 900 GT?

edbo1960

Hi All, new to this board. Been riding about 8 years, about 6-10K miles a year, all street, mostly under 150 miles a trip but a couple 2 or 3 days trips a year maybe 1,000 to 1,500 miles. 6'4", 34 inch inseam and 220 lbs, 58 YO. Moved to North GA area about two years ago from Chicago - such great riding, all year!!

Been riding my 2008 FJR and bought the 2005 SV650 to compliment it for shorter rides and twisties. Both bikes farkled to near perfection (upgraded suspension, heli bars, lights, RDL seat etc). I'm a buy and hold kinda guy.

Time marches on and not sure I need two bikes (do most maintenance myself), with so many great new bikes out there now I thought it may be the time to consolidate. Enter the Tracer GT (or Tenere, yeah another wrinkle). I'm a serious rider,(not crazy!) ATGATT, and like the idea of ABS (SV doesn't have it) and traction control and cruise control. I like that the Tracer is now longer wheel base than the FJ as I didn't love the FJ  at a recent demo ride after the Tenere (shaft drive is nice).

Anyway thinking the Tracer because of light weight but Tenere due to my size and shaft (the bike's shaft!) but weighs much more - have any of you gone thru this mental exercise? Local dealer has a demo ride in Oct where hopefully I can ride the Tracer. 

Thanks, Edbo

• Premium Member
I've owned both of the bikes in your current stable. Admittedly, I don't suffer from excess height, so I can't comment on fit for someone of your stature, but others of your dimensions here have found the Tracer to be a good fit.

That said, you will LOVE the Tracer for its artful combination of qualities of your current bikes. Long-distance comfort and power of the FJR (once outfitted correctly) and lightweight nimbleness of the SV, only better.

Shaft drive is a consideration after owning a bike with that tech (besides the FJR, I've also owned BMWs), but I've found the transition back to chain very easy. Even if you totally ignore chain & sprocket maintenance, replacement doesn't break the bank to renew.

Tough call. I traded my gen3 2014 FJR for the tracer but might have kept it if I had another lighter bike to ride. Considering that you have an SV650 in this instance I think the upgraded electronics and newer technology would make the trade worthwhile.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Good idea. In a few years the FJR will seem heavier and a bit top heavy, whereas the Tracer 900 GT will remain light. I am not so sure of the Tenere because of its weight. I do have a friend who downsized from Tenere to FJ-09 and then went back to a newer Tenere. Hard to predict. I have a 2003 FJR with 60k miles I no longer ride that I would like to sell to get it back on the road. It is the best for its purpose of any I have owned, taking me cross country several times and occasional two up. I just got too old for it.

6'6", 34" inseam. If you're comfy on the SV650, you're going to find the FJ / Tracer really roomy. I tried a SV650, but ended up with a WeeStrom instead. SV was way too cramped for me. The Tracer is almost as roomy as my modded up WeeStrom (tall seat, bar risers, lowered pegs). My knee angle is a little tighter, but my hips are not as bent, and actually find it more comfortable overall.

Archived