Just got a '15

Under the “better late than never” I just picked up a ’15 model. I was going to get a new GT, but found a well-farkled model, and I figure if I can get 80% of the new bike at 50% of its cost, it’s a good place to start. The bike sits right in the middle of my current lineup, a K1200GT and a 1st Gen SV 650 (yes, I’ve had it almost 20 years!). I’m really interested in how my riding time will be distributed.

Some initial thoughts: I like the sit up and beg riding position. It’ll take some getting used to in the tight stuff. I’m curious how it’ll feel with long days in the saddle. I easily do 10 hour days on my other bikes with more compact and tucked position, so it’ll be a bit of a change for me.

The bars are W-I-D-E. I almost feel like I’m going to hug the car in front of me!

The bottom end acceleration is amazing! It really does marry the torquey take offs of my SV with the eyeball flattening acceleration at revs of my K-Bike GT, all on tap. Right now. Love that!

The ECU has been flashed, but the response is much more abrupt than I’m used to. I did take it for a lengthy test ride prior to buying it, so I knew what I was getting. I’m banking on me getting used to it and learning to minimize the choppiness. This is the only open question mark I have on this bike.

It looks much better in person than in pictures/videos. The lines flow well and maintain their aesthetic from differing vantage points.

I’m really looking forward to getting to know this bike.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
Having owned both a 2008 K1200GT and a 2012 K1600GT, I predict you will favor the FJ, unless you do a lot of two-up riding. The FJ can be farkled to your heart's desire for any type of riding that you prefer. Love mine and I don't spend a moment regretting my departure from the Motorrad.

BTW, there are also two SV650S's in my past. Great bikes.

Under the “better late than never” I just picked up a ’15 model. I was going to get a new GT, but found a well-farkled model, and I figure if I can get 80% of the new bike at 50% of its cost, it’s a good place to start.  

Depending on the actual numbers, that's a very good way of putting things!   smiley.png   Now, I'm no good with numbers (words are my thing) but it would be illuminating if some accounting/ spreadsheeting type here could do some calculations on how a new GT may depreciate against a newly-bought '15, '16, '17 Mk I, showing the ultimate depreciation and loss of $s over (say) three (3) and five (5) years with each bike.    
There are still plenty of new 15s, 16s, 17s to be had here, as well as numerous extremely low-mileage one-owner or dealer demo Tracers.   I've been thinking about the equations recently  - maximo's quote stirred the thinking even further!   

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived