The Horned Wall of Muscle

• Premium Member
Thanks for the tips. While on a ride this afternoon I saw deer jump back into the foliage when the car in front of me went by it. Startled me and kept me alert the rest of the day. Forest is close to road on that part of the highway.

I'm in Norcal. Was on 193 out of Georgetown heading  towards Placerville. Lots of great riding here.

Thanks for the tips. While on a ride this afternoon I saw deer jump back into the foliage when the car in front of me went by it. Startled me and kept me alert the rest of the day. Forest is close to road on that part of the highway.  
I'm in Norcal. Was on 193 out of Georgetown heading  towards Placerville. Lots of great riding here.

Yes, yes there is. Amador County has some awesome roads. A lunch run to Murphy's was one of my favorites. Then there's the holy grail Wentworth Springs...

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
About a month ago did Wentworth and then South on Ice House. Going North looks good too, but it looks like it dead ends.

One of my favorites is Emigrant Trail (2 lane road) from Sly Park Road in Pollock Pines to Hwy 88. No traffic, scenic and not too twisty.
Have you ever done Mosquito Ridge Road?  A lot of work to stay alive on that road. Some say the best road ever. Too twisty for me.

About a month ago did Wentworth and then South on Ice House. Going North looks good too, but it looks like it dead ends.  
One of my favorites is Emigrant Trail (2 lane road) from Sly Park Road in Pollock Pines to Hwy 88. No traffic, scenic and not too twisty.
Have you ever done Mosquito Ridge Road?  A lot of work to stay alive on that road. Some say the best road ever. Too twisty for me.

I grew up in Foresthill so the horror stories of MRR kept me away once I started riding. I've gone down it once or twice but never at any kind of speed. 
There is a way to connect WWS and MRR, but I don't think it's paved. But you do go north after WWS instead of meandering back down Ice House to 50. 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Unfortunately, several of us on this forum have up close and personal experience with wildlife... @betoney, @redfjniner... others, I’m sure. Search ‘deer strike’ in the recent threads and browse through the results.

I wrote this about mine in a previous thread: “It was back in 1993 that I had mine, but I still remember it vividly. We were hustling trying to make it back to our campsite before dark, and the wildlife starts getting very active in the Hill Country at dusk. Short version of the story: I center-punched a medium sized doe going maybe 70 mph on my 92 VFR750, basically split the deer in half, and managed to get the bike mostly stopped before falling over going maybe 20 mph. I dislocated my right wrist, cracked my sternum, and ended up with a massive bruise roughly the shape of a deer’s hind quarter covering my entire upper chest. To this day we wonder how it didn’t just clean me straight off the bike on initial impact.”

Truth be told, it’s one of the scariest things that’s ever happened to me on a bike, because it came completely out of nowhere. My riding buddy said it cleared the fence to my right at full run, took one huge leap, and I hit it midair as it was coming back to land... I literally didn’t see it coming.

I have been on Wentworth and lower Ice House a few times and have done Ice House up to Loon Lake where it ends or runs into Rubicon Rd.  Nice road, not great, but fun. Loon Lake is awesome, nice to stop and have a picnic on the edge of the lake.   I have been up to Hell Hole Res/Dam and again nice but not great, but fun.  I want a report on Mosquito Ridge Rd. cause I haven't done that one yet.  Maybe next June.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived