Cruise Control Problem

vtwin996

Just came back from a 1700 mile 5 day ride including mix of interstate and back roads. 2-3 times a day, while using the cruise, the cruise would 'reset' as if the brake pedal had been touched. In other words, the cruise was no longer controlling the speed. The cruise was still 'on' (orange light on, but green light off). I read the manual for all the requirements for the cruise (4th, 5th, 6th gear), speed (31-100 mph) etc etc etc. but all those were true. I wasn't climbing or descending and not accelerating or decelerating with the throttle.
Has anyone else seen this problem? The bike is less than a month old so has plenty of time left on the warranty so I'm going to wait to see if this continues or see if i can explain what's going on.

I have no experience with the new cruise control but my guess would be a faulty switch somewhere. Like the brake light switch or clutch switch.. something that would signal the ECU to disconnect the cruise control.

Since it's only a month old I would let the Yamaha troubleshoot it. Good luck.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

If you roll the throttle forward there is a little resistance and it disengages the cruise control. This is a feature. 

Is that perhaps the issue? If you’re holding the grip you may have inadvertently rolled it forward and disengaged the cruise control.

just a thought.

Vic

Good thinking, Vic.

VTwin- that would be a really good first step you can do yourself. There’s a black barrel adjuster on one of the throttle cables (on pre ‘18 models anyway) which will allow you to loosen the freeplay. It should be 2-3mm of looseness before the cable actually gets tensioned as you gently move the throttle grip BEFORE it pulls the cable.

My other thought is that a brake light/clutch switch is sticking on, or adjusted just a bit too tightly.

-Skip

I hope that sorts it. Simple solutions are always the best. 
Section 3.9 in the manual shows the ways to disengage cruise including twisting the throttle grip in the deceleration direction past the end stop.

good luck!

Yup, that was it. I think on long stretches, as I was moving around on the bike, I was leaning forward and pushing the throttle forward accidentally.
Once you know it's there, it's a nice feature and convenient way to shut the cruise off.
Thanks for the help guys!

Archived