FJ-09 Blackstone Oil Analysis Results from Major Tour

nsmiller

The Blackstone Oil Analysis Results from this summer's trip from Kansas City to Alaska and back arrived in my inbox tonight. 

Yes, octane booster was used several times due to lack of availability of 91 on the AK highway. That said, I will probably run a follow up report at the next oil change.

Oil_Analysis_FJ09.png

Because I know this question will get asked, the oil was Shell Rotella T6, using an OEM oil filter. Oil changed right before leaving for the trip, and then again about 3-4 weeks after getting home. Audrey did not ride her bike much in those following weeks right after the trip though, so only about 200 miles came from putting around KC.

8,865 miles on the oil.

I have no clue what these numbers represent! How do you read this?
Compare the stuff in the leftward columns with the stuff in the rightward columns. 
@nsmiller how much does the oil analysis cost?

'15 FJ09

Cost is $28.

Oil test kits are free and so is shipping. You only pay when you run an analysis.

On an engine(s) I intend to own a long time, running an analysis once every couple years keeps me updated on the health of the machine.

For example, these tests can detect small head gasket leaks long before you'll ever visually notice coolant in your oil.

I have no clue what these numbers represent! How do you read this?
Compare the stuff in the leftward columns with the stuff in the rightward columns. 

Yes this I figured, but what if the number on the left is 54 when it should be 3? What does it mean?

Yes this I figured, but what if the number on the left is 54 when it should be 3? What does it mean?
The numbers are measured in parts per million (ppm). 
In my case, the high numbers are from lead and manganese. Lead is found primarily in bearings, but it is also found in octane booster and in leaded gas. I used octane boost with lead in it during our trip multiple times due to lack of 91 octane stations in spots on the AK highway. 

Manganese is a trace element in some engine components, but it is also an additive in some gasoline. I believe the high manganese level is also attributable to the octane boost that was used. Future oil analysis tests will confirm if this hypothesis is correct.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

While this thread has been moribund for quite a while, I have a couple related questions:

Does not lead damage the catalytic converter, or was the amount and duration you used the "octane booster" below those thresholds?

Have you tried running lower octane gas than 91, and if so what were your observations?

I've tried 91/93 E0 and E10,  and 89 & 87 E10, and while I never did so in temps over 80F or hammered it hard, I never could discern any differences or heard pre-ignition or detention (although I always wear ear plugs and a full face or flip front helmet).  Others have stated the run mid grade and regular with no apparent I'll effects.  Obviously, Yamaha tuned the CP3 engine for 91 but given reasonable throttle control and lower temps without heavy loads,what is your opinion in this regard?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

While this thread has been moribund for quite a while, I have a couple related questions:

Does not lead damage the catalytic converter, or was the amount and duration you used the "octane booster" below those thresholds?

Have you tried running lower octane gas than 91, and if so what were your observations?

I've tried 91/93 E0 and E10,  and 89 & 87 E10, and while I never did so in temps over 80F or hammered it hard, I never could discern any differences or heard pre-ignition or detention (although I always wear ear plugs and a full face or flip front helmet).  Others have stated the run mid grade and regular with no apparent I'll effects.  Obviously, Yamaha tuned the CP3 engine for 91 but given reasonable throttle control and lower temps without heavy loads,what is your opinion in this regard?

Yes, leaded fuels will damage the cat.

The main reason Yamaha recommends high octane fuel is due to the high compression engine design. It's safer to run higher octane fuel with advanced timing settings. These engines don't use knock sensors like a car, and for the most part by the time you hear audible pinging while riding, it's doing damage. This engine design also doesn't like to be lugged around in top gear at less than 3,000 RPM. It's not a V-twin cruiser, it's an inline sportbike motor - let her sing!

The other reason for running good quality, 91 octane fuel is that it burns cleaner and doesn't build up carbon deposits like low octane poor quality gas does.

YMMV. I personally don't think it's worth saving 40-80 cents per fill up. In the grand scheme of things that's nothing.

-Skip

• Premium Member

87 and 89 octane fuel does not necessarily equate to poor quality , as crappy 91 octane can also be found.  Impurities  and water from the gas station's tanks are what contaminate most fuels.  I also understand how compression and timing (both valve and ignition) determine fuel octane requirements, and that the CP3 needs revs.

But I thought someone, maybe on the FZ-09 side, had made dyno runs with a knock sensor or modified spark plug that permits viewing combustion, and determined 91 is not necessarily required under 80 F and  standard loads.

I have used Chevron Techron for a very long time and according to Chevron it is safe for cats and does NOT contain lead as Her Miller implied but it can elevate oil lead levels due to how it reacts in the engine. 

Archived