Another UK newbie.

catteeclan

I have a phone bracket attached it it then my Galaxy S9 to use as sat nav and am having no issues at all.  I don't understand what issues there could be...
The potential issue is that the vibration makes the SatNav difficult to read (the heavier the SatNav the worse the issue can be) I think that's why they publish a recommended max weight. However, we all know that manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution which is why I asked if you had any issues.

The issue was demonstrated by 'Critical Rider' (who I believe is a forum member) on an earlier model here 

Cheers
Steve

The further away from the mounting post / ball you attach sat nav, the worse the vidrations are. Think handlebar ends. The heavier the unit, the more vibrations there will be. It doesn't help, that the whole front fairing and light unit is affixed to a bracket from the frame that is very light weight/thin and is prone to flexing. Mind you, it's better than reading a paper map at speed....

I had the earlier version, for my ‘15 and although I agree it is a great location for line of sight, there were three drawbacks for me. The lower part of the phone obscured the indicator lights on the dash; the phone hit the top of the screen (albeit an after market screen) and finally there was too much vibration from the generally loose held dash assembly.

I then tried a RAM ball on one of fhe handlebar riser bolts and a phone mount there. That doesn’t vibrate but is out of line of sight. In the end I settled on a TomTom rider satnav on a this RAM bolt, then a short RAM arm to raise it slightly. I have to look down slightly, but the satnav screen is a lot better than my phone and I get speed camera alerts. It works for me.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 month later...

Archived