Heated Grips vs Heated Glove Liners

dbeau

Hey all, I gotta find a way to keep my hands warm now that we're finding our way back into the colder months. I'd like to avoid spending the big bucks for heated grips although they seem the most practical way to go. 

Anyone have a good recommendation for heated glove liners or are they a waste of time. Should I just get the heated grips? 

Thanks!

I have had both and appreciate the heated factory grips and the standard hand guards that keep the wind off your hands. I live in the north and ride till the road gets salted. I only wear summer gloves and the heated grips. I find the heated gloves or the heated liners too bulky to the point I loose feeling on the grips.

• Premium Member
I have all three. That is I have heated grips, heated glove liners and insulated heated gloves. 

For me grips are the least fiddly and most useful.  They are always there when you need them: on a planned cold day ride, but also in an unexpected rain, a chilly morning or evening, or when going over a mountain.  Flip them on, flip them off.  No hassle.  Use them in combination with any gloves.  I use them far more often than the others.

Liners are a bit fiddly and won't fit in just any glove.

Heated gloves are also fiddly, what with the wires and connections and sleeves...  And they are thick and don't give the hand comfort of good 3-season gloves.

That being said - gloves and liners can be used on multiple bikes without duplicating the cost.

If it gets damn cold, liners and grips in combination are as good as the gloves alone.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Thanks for the input. It pretty much just confirmed what my instincts already told me.

Now, to throw a bit of a curve ball, I have grip puppies and like them a lot. Do grip puppies negate the heated grips to any degree?

Thanks for the input. It pretty much just confirmed what my instincts already told me.  
Now, to throw a bit of a curve ball, I have grip puppies and like them a lot. Do grip puppies negate the heated grips to any degree?
I have no idea, but grip puppies are like a cellular neoprene soft cushion between the rubber grip and your glove.  Sounds like an insulating layer.  Less heat to you glove most likely. 
I have heated grips because they are the most useful and always there and ready to heat your hands at anytime or change the level of heat even while you are riding.  I have heated liners that I will use in addition to the heated grips when it is raining and when the temps are below 40 F.  I wear them under a pair of Olympia Gore tex over gloves with no insulation but three layers of different fabrics.  

What I like is a pair of puffy leather gloves with very little insulation at the palm so I get great feel of the grips while the back of my hands are well insulated, letting the heated grips heat my palms.

I have to have a way to carry three pairs of gloves on some days.  36 F in the morning with the well insulated gloves, 55 F late morning with a few showers I wear a pair of Alpinestars with Gore Tex and late afternoon at 70 F a pair of light weight and vented gloves.  I may be using the heated grips all day or until it is 68 F.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I have heated grips and am using grip puppies.  No problem with them installed over the heated grips.  In fact, sometimes they get too hot!

Archived