Fault Code 59

Brick

• Premium Member
My 2015 FJ-09 wouldn't start and showed a Fault Code 59. Has anyone experienced a Fault Code 59?

59 says: Accelerator Position Sensor  Open or Short Circuit Detected.

Oh Hell... I see from the manual and from online partshark.com where this sensor is and the discription of the tests to perform... look to be formidable... to me anyway.

Anyone???

Brick

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

My 2016 FJ-09 wouldn't start and showed a Fault Code 59. Has anyone experienced a Fault Code 59? 

59 says: Accelerator Position Sensor  Open or Short Circuit Detected.

Oh Hell... I see from the manual and from online partshark.com where this sensor is and the discription of the tests to perform... look to be formidable... to me anyway.

Anyone???

Brick

What year do you have? You can access the diag panel on pre 2017 bikes and see the APS readout (see here https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment ). If it did need replacement, I don't think it would be too bad. You'd probably need to remove as far down as the airbox. That of course is assuming it's the sensor itself at fault.

• Premium Member
Oops.. I said 2016... it's a 2015 FJ-09. It also says OPEN or SHORT... I will read and heed...

Thanks

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Oops.. I said 2016... it's a 2015 FJ-09. It also says OPEN or SHORT... I will read and heed... 
Thanks

Once you raise the rear of the tank (prop it up with a piece of lumber etc.) you can see the sensor clearly from RHS (no need to remove airbox). Connector is easy to reach with your hand. Unplug it and re-seat it as the first step. If you have compressed air, blow out any debris from the connectors. 
aps.jpg

Oh I’ve found it as I have the tank and air box off as we checked the valves. I was just reading about it and it’s position sounds very critical. Aren’t there two position screws that have to be removed that are also the ones used to adjust it?
Brick

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

Ok - but which fuses did you look at? The FJ has 3 fuse boxes.

The reason that I am harping on this, is it's VERY rare to have that sensor fail. Usually if the Code 59 is active, it's because it's unplugged or the ETV fuse is blown. A lot of riders don't realize that ETV fuse stands for Electronic Throttle Valve in Yamaha's (not) brilliant fuse marking mindset and will miss the fact that the ETV fuse is responsible for providing 12v reference to the TPS and APS sensors.

This fuse can be blown easily by attempting to jumpstart the bike from a source with too high an amp output (IE a running car) or by connecting the battery backwards.

Typically the bike will start and idle, but twisting the throttle will do nothing to change the speed of the engine. You did mention that your bike won't start however...

If you just had the bike apart for maintenance double check that the connectors are in the correct spot and fully seated ("clicked" into place). It's easy to mix up black with grey, especially in a dim garage.

Post back if you need more help.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Ok - but which fuses did you look at? The FJ has 3 fuse boxes. 
I checked all three fuse boxes. Took the bike to a friends house and he insisted on checking all fuses in all three boxes again.

The reason that I am harping on this, is it's VERY rare to have that sensor fail. Usually if the Code 59 is active, it's because it's unplugged or the ETV fuse is blown. A lot of riders don't realize that ETV fuse stands for Electronic Throttle Valve in Yamaha's (not) brilliant fuse marking mindset and will miss the fact that the ETV fuse is responsible for providing 12v reference to the TPS and APS sensors.

This fuse can be blown easily by attempting to jumpstart the bike from a source with too high an amp output (IE a running car) or by connecting the battery backwards.

Typically the bike will start and idle, but twisting the throttle will do nothing to change the speed of the engine. You did mention that your bike won't start however...

If you just had the bike apart for maintenance double check that the connectors are in the correct spot and fully seated ("clicked" into place). It's easy to mix up black with grey, especially in a dim garage.

Got the code before we took it apart for the valve check.

Post back if you need more help.

-Skip

I hope to go back over to my friends house this afternoon to check a few more things. Also changing chain and sprockets.

Brick

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

@Brick. Ok. The other thing to check before you even disassemble the bike again is DIAG channel 14 and 15.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment

I don’t recall if the 15 and 16 models are capable of knowing the difference between an “open/short” vs being out of range. IIRC they are not. So recommend checking your values and seeing if they are close to the range for closed throttle and WO throttle.

These 2 channels also have to “agree” with each other. If the TPS is adjusted to closed=12 and the APS closed = 20 then the ECU may throw a fault code.

If you rotate the throttle while viewing channel 14 or 15 and the values don’t change at all, that will point you in a direction for troubleshooting.

While troubleshooting, also make sure you understand which sensor performs which task.

-Skip

Archived