Affect of Engine Oil on Engine Noise

Just got my 1000km oil change to RS4GP fully. Was happy to hear I could bring my own oil next change, as need to record for warranty. 

I still have Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w/50 (use it on Triump t100) anyone in hot climate use it on tracer, given my climate all year range 32-41c, feel dun need 5,10,15w but to be honest am not so sure and don’t want take chances given it’s a new bike. 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, skipperT said:

No, I was referring to our 120 degree crankpin triple motor. It is a bit of marketing lingo on Yamaha’s part, but remember that they to call it a “crossplane concept” engine design. The FZ/MT/XTZ07/XTZ12 is indeed NOT marketing nonsense as the crankpins are 90 degree.

i’ve edited my original statement since most triples do indeed use 120 degree crankpins as you pointed out.

My original intent was to correct a previous bit of mis-information within this thread about pistons being at TDC at the same time (doesn’t happen on the CP3 engine.)

Here’s some other good reading:

K5JTBSOJ5EA6YNSCI522KVCF3U.jpg

The Geek answers the question, what is a...

and:

img-facebook.jpg

Introducing the stories behind Yamaha...

there’s loads of info out there if one has the time...

-Skip

Yes I understood what you were saying. I was simply pointing out that the only crossplane engine is the R1. 120 degree triples and 270 degree twins are nothing new and it's a stretch to say the least for Yamaha to say 'crossplane concept'. As I was pointing out, it's simply marketing and is nothing new. I'm not wanting to ruffle any feathers, just adding my 2c. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Marketing aside, I think ALL vertical twins should be made like the FZ07. It sounds like a Ducati! Totally changes power characteristics and sound.

I think Yamaha should make a larger twin (900??)  I might have kept it instead of trading for my FJ09.

The crank angle for a triple is normal and was used in the 76 Yamaha XS 750 and XS850 in 1980 on.

Surprising more makers don't make a triple. It is unique in its power and sound. 

Back on topic: I just pulled 20-50 Yamalube out,(too heavy when our lows in the mornings are 39F) replaced with Castrol Actevo 10-40. After my ride today I'll see if the sounds have changed.

Edited by peteinpa

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have USED it on Tracer/GT.  found it in my garage from last usage on Triumph T100,  i have left 2 tub of these and want to used it for next oil change(+purchase 1 more) if any user here, since ours is Triplet vs Twin here. 

IMG_4026.JPG

I think 20-50 is too heavy for the FJ-09 and almost any liquid cooled bike. Yamaha's chart for oil viscocities based on temp. is old school. it only applies at cold start up. Once warm, being liquid cooled, outside temp.  is irrelevant.

Honda has updated all its oil reccomendations to 10-30 in all bikes even air cooled ones.

10-40 for me forever in my FJ.

Give that oil to someone with a hardly abelson.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

I think 20-50 is too heavy for the FJ-09 and almost any liquid cooled bike. Yamaha's chart for oil viscocities based on temp. is old school. it only applies at cold start up. Once warm, being liquid cooled, outside temp.  is irrelevant.

Honda has updated all its oil reccomendations to 10-30 in all bikes even air cooled ones.

10-40 for me forever in my FJ.

Give that oil to someone with a hardly abelson.

Agree with peteinpa. 20w50 is too heavy for a modern liquid cooled motorcycle engine. That Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 synthetic is great oil for HD though. Been running it in my air cooled Buell's for for almost 2 decades.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.