GT in Australia

wordsmith

The major Australian motorcycling mag (AMCN) published its first review today, following the new Tracer and Tracer GT’s launch to the press in New Zealand.

I’m usually very cynical about reports such as these, but will try to stifle that cynicism and take a couple of points from the report.

A very large pic of the new bike (below) was labelled as being the non-GT Tracer, but was very clearly the GT model, the gold-finish fork being an instant giveaway. Not a hanging offence, but…    Overall, of course, the review was quite positive.

Strangely, three different paint options for the GT were quoted (two for the non-GT), although it’s my belief, backed-up by correspondence from Yamaha’s Oz HQ that only Midnight Black (previously called Raven Black, IIRC) is available for the GT, at least for now.   Pity, that…

I have a similar understanding that in Oz at least the pannier lids (panniers are standard on the GT model) are not painted to match the bike, but the AMCN article says that they are painted.  Who to believe?   If they are not, that’s a cheapskate measure, Yamaha.

AMCN seems to be unable to nail the new, narrower width of the ‘bars, saying at one point they are 100mm narrower, and elsewhere 16.5mm narrower. That’s quite a difference – roughly 4” versus 5/8”: which is correct I wonder?    FWIW, I always liked the wide stance of the ‘bars on the earlier Tracers, as it mimicked the comfortable if not very elegant wide-apart ‘bars on my GSs.

The upgraded suspension on the GT comes in for a lot of praise, which is a good thing.   Commenting on suspension, the reviewer states that he has met ‘many Tracer owners who rate the plush suspension highly’.   Judging by the numerous complaints about the OE suspension, and the equally numerous and costly options to fix it, he has clearly never come across this Forum, where the word 'plush' has never been used, but again the new shock and fork upgrades on the GT are reported as being very worthwhile.

The gem in the crown of the Tracer has always been the engine, and the reviewer rightly praises it to the hilt.

As many will have read on this Forum and elsewhere, Yamaha claims that 30,000 Tracers have been sold since 2015.   Not many of those seem to have been sold in Oz, as I have only ever seen one on the road here, almost four years since its introduction in early 2015.   The Tracer has surely been a poor seller in this country, proof of which is that there are still plenty of brand-new 2016 and later bikes with hard panniers available at dealerships from under AUD$14,000.  

This baffles me (I’ve owned three) for despite its shortcomings the Tracer’s value-for-money proposition is excellent, and even more importantly it offers an exhilarating riding experience, warts 'n' all.   It will be interesting to see how long the GT's initial price of AUD$16,999 plus on-road costs is maintained.  First-gen Tracers in 2015 were initially priced at AUD$16,500 o.t.d, but were quickly reduced to around AUD$15,000, even lower now of course.    Incidentally, I was way off the mark when I guesstimated some time ago that the GT price might be in the AUD$18,000 to $19,000 price range, but a nice error to make!

Here in Oz there is only AUD$1500 difference in price between the ‘standard’ Tracer and new GT version. The extra $1500 gets you the hard panniers, quick-shifter, TFT instrument display, adjustable upgraded suspension, cruise control, and heated grips.   It would seem a no-brainer not to choose the GT over its lesser-equipped ‘standard’ cousin!    But as yet (end-October) no new Tracers or GTs seem to have made it to dealerships in my part of the world. 

P1040825.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
NOV 7th - dealer tells me earliest deliveries in Oz will not be until February 2019.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 2:36 PM, wordsmith said:

NOV 7th - dealer tells me earliest deliveries in Oz will not be until February 2019.

JAN 9th 2019 - I have it on pretty good authority that the Gen II Tracers and/ or GTs - one or both, not sure - will only be available here in Oz to special order, meaning that dealerships will not stock them as an on-the-floor item.   Sounds quite reasonable, as the Tracer has been a dismal seller here and in almost four years of looking I could count the number I've seen on the road on the fingers of one foot.  But - if this info is wrong, please let us know.

Edited by wordsmith

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, gregiem said:

I had my gt in the workshop getting the last of the extras put on and was told there is a large backlog of people waiting for more of these bikes to hit the showroom floor. 

If any staff member in any motorcycle dealership walked in from outdoors, dripping wet from head to toe and said it was raining, I'd look outside to check!   I'll be in a nearby dealership soon and will enquire.   I expect dumb looks, shrugged shoulders, and 'huh?' as a response.   This will be the same dealership which promised me months ago to let me know when/ if a GT arrives in the store: I'm still waiting for the call...

Edited by wordsmith

• 3 months later...

I have yet to see a GT here in Australia, though I did see a non-GT Tracer in a dealership some weeks ago.   I called into another dealership last week to buy an oil-sump crush-washer, and again enquired about the GT - have you got one on the floor, any coming in, etc?   Response - "we had one but it was sold" - (but was it the GT or not?) - "and have no plans to get any others in as we still have two Gen1 Tracers to sell.   But if you would like to leave a deposit we'll get one in for you"...!!!

It's all rather dispiriting, but hardly surprising given that the Gen1 Tracer has been such a poor seller here.   I don't understand it at all....  

Edited by wordsmith

I bought my GT off the floor in Townsville. Paid just over $16k and they threw in the first service. 

They only had the one, I doubt they'll be getting another seeing how heavily discounted it was. 

I wonder if the lack of sales/interest in the Tracers is due to poor marketing/publicity down under; or, if most Aussies looking at bikes of this style want offroad capability. 

3 hours ago, StealthAu said:

Hi Stealthy - I'm sure you've nailed it with your belief in poor/ non-existent marketing by the local Yamaha office.   They seem to have no interest in the bike, and local dealers follow suit!   Pity.

2 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Hi Stealthy - I'm sure you've nailed it with your belief in poor/ non-existent marketing by the local Yamaha office.   They seem to have no interest in the bike, and local dealers follow suit!   Pity.

It could be a result of the market. How do other brands of adventure styled bikes with no off road ability sell in Australia?
Yamaha may not put much focus into the Tracer as it could be seen as a limited market here. Most other brand has a bike that'll do everything the tracer does, along with more. 

The tracer is comparable to the Honda VFR800X. Might be different down your way, up here go to a Honda dealer and you probably wont see one. You will however see a few Africa Twins on the floor. 

If you are interested in a GT but want to test ride one first, talk to your dealer. If you are willing to put a deposit down, they'll get one in and you'll be able to take it for a spin before settling. If it isn't for you, you get your deposit back. 

A different but related question is - how many owners take their bikes off-road in any serious sense?   Very few, I'd suggest, even owners of the much-vaunted and very popular BMW GSs.   I see plenty of those about (and have owned more than one myself over several years) but only a dedicated hard-core goes off-road.   I do see quite a few Africa Twins around.

Yes, I know that some dealers may get one in if I'm interested - the dealer I referred to above offered to do so on receipt of a (refundable) deposit, but I'd like to see one in the flesh before getting that far.

It is the same as SUV's mate. I know so many people who have bought brand new four wheel drives with no intention of taking them off the bitumen. I know others who have bought them because "they want to go four wheel driving", with their idea of four wheel driving being recently grated roads. Washouts of more than a few inches and they'll head back the way they came. 

A two wheel drive ute would more than meet the needs of a lot of people who buy four wheel drives.

This is applicable to those who buy adventure bikes. The tracer is a good bike and suited to the needs of  a lot of adventure bike owners. 
But how do you change the perception of any given market? 

If there were an easy answer, Toyota would sell more 2wd hiluxs and Yamaha would sell more tracers. 

You have a 15, I don't know if it would be worth the upgrade. Other than the TFT, everything the 18/19 has can be added to the 15; most of which better options are available. How many colours light up the dash does nothing for ride comfort, performance, or safety, you're missing out on nothing there. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd be asking how much out of pocket you'd be on a trade in. Determine which features on the GT you'd like, see how much it'd cost to add to your 15. 

Keep in mind, of the additional features on the GT, a bit of perspective. 

The cases are on the small side and not overly tough. A lot of aftermarket options would be considered better. 

The suspension, while an upgrade to previous models, isn't as good as it gets. It is undersprung on the front and lacks compression dampening adjust-ability on the back. 

The quickshifter is up only.

The cruise control works as it should, but no different to any aftermarket or Yamaha add on. 

The throttle is less responsive. 

Don't get me wrong, they are a good bike. Especially for the price. However, a lot could be improved upon. 
Point is, you could possibly have your 15 setup better than new for what the handover would be. 

• Thumbsup 1

Don't misunderstand my interest in the GT, for I have no intention of moving away from my 2015/ near-new <3000km Tracer, which is now nicely farkled and comfortably set-up.   But having seen a Gen2 Tracer in the showroom and not caring much for some purely visual/ styling aspects of the new model, I'd like to see a GT in the flesh.   Not too much to ask, surely.   In truth, the only real advantage to me might be the cruise-control, but even that I can do without.   Had it on my last two bikes but hardly used it...