Heated grip removal

• Premium Member
I recently purchased a set of GT handlebars for my FJ.  I have the OEM heated grips installed on the original bars and obviously want to transfer them to the new bars.

Just wondering if anyone has done this.  I want to avoid damaging the left grip in the process of removing it.  What worked for you?

• Premium Member
Did you glue them on when you originally installed them with epoxy per the instructions? 
(If so, it will be easier to buy another set of grips...)

-Skip
No, I used hairspray (a trick from my bicycling days).  Still, might be a lost cause.

Hairspray should dissolve in a suitable solvent, otherwise women would never get the stuff off their hair. I would try ethanol/meths first as its the safest solvent. Squirt some in and let it soak for a while, then try peeling the ends and reapply.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I think compressed air might still help.. Othherwise, I would spray a little WD-40 under the grip then twist and pull it off.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Go full heat and maybe help it out with a heat gun until hot. That adhesive must have a breaking point. I've seen another brand recommend this.
Didn't think of that one.  Use the grip's own heat to help out.  That and some kind of solvent, as others suggested, might do the trick.  I'll give it a shot.

Go full heat and maybe help it out with a heat gun until hot. That adhesive must have a breaking point. I've seen another brand recommend this.
Didn't think of that one.  Use the grip's own heat to help out.  That and some kind of solvent, as others suggested, might do the trick.  I'll give it a shot.

Yep, heat and a solvent, coupled with a blast of compressed air.

You also might be able to use compressed air from the Throttle Side, have a friend block (or reach over with your thumb) any hole where air might escape from the LH grip in the clutch side. Sometimes that can free them up too. For this method to work, you’ll need a rubber tipped blow gun, or the like -inserted into a hole in the Throttle side.

(They can also come off with a bit of force when performing this method)

-Skip

Archived