Chain Alignment

duhs10

I've been using the motion pro chain alignment tool for a while now... it works. However, on my last chain change I decided that I don't really like it.  I think I am too much of a perfectionist and want to KNOW for sure that the sprockets and wheels are aligned and I feel that its still just a guessing game with the motion pro tool and the result is more of a "I guess that's good enough".

After coming to the conclusion that I prefer a more "measurable" way to determine if the sprockets are aligned, I decided to measure, with a caliper, the distance between the axle block and the swingarm where the adjusting bolt enters.  The right side was 1.5mm closer to the swingarm than the left as it was from using the motion pro tool.  I then adjusted the chain slack a bit and used the caliper only to adjust the blocks.  They are now within .2mm of each other and I am at the same conclusion that the chain alignment looks "good enough".

I'm sure that either method gets the sprockets to within an acceptable range of alignment... 

My question to you all is... What method do you use? Do you have any useful tips and tricks that I, and the community, would benefit from?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Coming over from a shaft drive scoot I find dealing with a dirty-noisy chain a pain in the rump.

I use the MP tool to true up the sprockets as much as possible. But, given the large amount of  play and slop in the chain drive system, fractional mm accuracy seems overkill to me, especially as the chain and sprockets wear.

More important to clean and wax the chain carefully and often!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

I only ever use the factory alignment marks.  I'm sure there are more accurate methods but Ive never let it bother me enough to seek them out.  

I have been riding, - maintaining and adjusting chains since I was a kid with an XR80, In 40+ years Ive never had a chain or sprocket failure using the factory marks.   YMMV

Unless you are getting very unusual or uneven wear marks on the side of the sprocket teeth, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have the motion pro tool as well, probably due to a favourable mention on here. But, I don’t use it any more as I find it is more open to judgement - Is it really aligned? Which eye do I use? Is that really the middle of the chain?

If I’ve had the wheel off I pull the wheel backwards and nip up the axle nut, just so it grips. I then use the left adjuster to get the chain slack in the 25mm range, note the alignment mark on that side and replicate it on the right hand side. Then spin the wheel and eyeball along its length from the rear of the bike to see how it runs over the rear sprocket. I look for any side to side movement and adjust whichever side is required to make it run straight. Recheck chain slack hasn’t changed and check that the marks on each side are equivalent (and they always have been). Tighten axle nut by hand whilst still on the rear stand and then put onto side stand to torque up to spec.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

20 minutes ago, BBB said:

I don’t use it any more as I find it is more open to judgement - Is it really aligned? Which eye do I use? Is that really the middle of the chain?

Exactly what I was thinking the last time I used it!!!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived