Wobbly seat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fact: the seat wobbles when weight is placed on the very back left (kickstand) side of the seat.

Anyone that does not believe this simple fact take a look at the bottom of your seat. The main portion has 4 support bumpers. The very far back has an additional one on the right side of the bike. The left side does not have the additional support. When the seat is correctly mounted you can push down on the back left side and move the seat down at least another inch or so. Unless some of you folks are getting special seats they will all be missing this additional support and be subject to movement. In order for it to effect you while riding you have to sit on the very back of the seat.

In my opinion, it is a design flaw

Just picked up our fj's today, and the first thing the sales rep told us was that the service techs mistakingly threw out the left rear bumpers that the fj ships with. This piece covers the latch mechanism you have to pull to get the drivers seat out. He said you are supposed to put this piece back in by hand after you take the seat off and it will support the part of the seat everyone here is having problems with. He also said he will order us a couple new one to replace the ones the tech threw out. They thought they were just shipping spacers. Might be worth a check if you have this piece, and if not get a hold of your dealer to order a new one.
Cheers

This rubber block is called a "cap" and is part #2SC-2482H-00-00.  I too had to go back to the dealer to get one as they did not know what it was.  It is listed on the parts list at http://www.yamahapartspro.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d7f87002164cb2805c/seat.  I looked at this closely, but it does not hold the seat any more firmly.  It appears to be a simple safety wedge that blocks anything from releasing the seat latch.  You should have this part, but it won't tighten the seat.  The fact is that this seat is loosely attached by most standards, but with weight on it, I have noticed no movement.  

This rubber block is called a "cap" and is part #2SC-2482H-00-00.  I too had to go back to the dealer to get one as they did not know what it was.  It is listed on the parts list at http://www.yamahapartspro.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d7f87002164cb2805c/seat.  I looked at this closely, but it does not hold the seat any more firmly.  It appears to be a simple safety wedge that blocks anything from releasing the seat latch.  You should have this part, but it won't tighten the seat.  The fact is that this seat is loosely attached by most standards, but with weight on it, I have noticed no movement.  
Ok, thanks for the info, our seats are indeed loose and the sales rep was sure that was the reason. It's nice to know at least when we do get the part if the seats not snug, I'll know it's a design flaw. Cheers

I just need to ask, is everyone moving the plastic bracket back and forth when changing high and low setting? It snaps in and out with pressure tabs up near the front of the seat, if done correctly it doesn't wobble.
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

I tried the seat in the low setting today to find out if the air flow would be any better.  It wasn't.  I put it back to the high setting.  I had it at the high setting originally and had to move the plastic bracket you mentioned, in order to allow the seat to go into the lower position.  Moved it back to go to the high position.  I don't notice any issue with seat movement in either position.

BTW, had an 89 Hawk.  Bought it new in 92 and only just sold it last year when I bought an FZ-09.  I really enjoyed the Hawk.  Biggest problem I had was due to the limited use.   The carbs didn't like setting for an extended period.  It would be hard to start.  I believe the ethanol content in todays gas contributed greatly to the problem.  I figured selling it to someone who would ride it more than I did was the better thing to do.  Good for you in holding onto yours.

I just need to ask, is everyone moving the plastic bracket back and forth when changing high and low setting? It snaps in and out with pressure tabs up near the front of the seat, if done correctly it doesn't wobble.
This is simply not true. Take a look at the picture and notice the seat support that is highlighted. There is no corresponding support for the left side of the seat. As a result, you can depress the seat or get it to wobble by placing weight on the portion of the seat that is unsupported. If someone has a different seat that is supported I would like to see a picture. If not, they will all do this.  
IMG_0439_zpsy36gxzt3.jpg

What strikes me most about that picture is the top left. You can clearly see a spot where a circular piece would support that side (at least more than nothing)... I wonder if the 'plug' that 'protects' the seat latch should have an extension that would match up to this hole? Or if maybe there's a 'high setting' plug that you'd use in that situation.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Right. - but do you see those 2 fat rubber bumpers on the left and right side of the seat?

THOSE are the main supports for the rear of the seat. If you do not move the corresponding plastic bracket to the correct hi or low position, as HawkGT mentioned - then those 2 HUGE FAT rubber bumpers will have NOTHING to support them!

The 2 tabs at the rear of the seat are "bonus" tabs for security. The center one is to lock/latch it in place. The one to the right is to assist with locking it in place and make sure you are sticking the tab in the right hi/low hole position.

The rubber Cap doesn't support the rear lh side of the seat, because it's not designed to do that. It's sole purpose is to block access to the latch mechanism.

It is, what it is. The Japanese designed it this way. THEY felt that the seat is supported adequately when it's installed correctly.

Archived