Wobbly seat

Right. - but do you see those 2 fat rubber bumpers on the left and right side of the seat? 
THOSE are the main supports for the rear of the seat. If you do not move the corresponding plastic bracket to the correct hi or low position, as HawkGT mentioned - then those 2 HUGE FAT rubber bumpers will have NOTHING to support them!

The 2 tabs at the rear of the seat are "bonus" tabs for security. The center one is to lock/latch it in place. The one to the right is to assist with locking it in place and make sure you are sticking the tab in the right hi/low hole position.

The rubber Cap doesn't support the rear lh side of the seat, because it's not designed to do that. It's sole purpose is to block access to the latch mechanism.

It is, what it is. The Japanese designed it this way. THEY felt that the seat is supported adequately when it's installed correctly.
I agree with all that. It's the flexible seat pan that is the issue for some people. If I need a better seat, I hope Sargent makes one. Their seat pan will be rock solid, going from my huge sampling of Sargent seats (3.)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And again, I can read a manual. My bracket is in the right position, and I see how those mid-mounted bumpers help... but there's nothing supporting the very back of the seat except for the high/low insert. And if that's there to help support the height of the seat, then it's going to be bearing weight. And if nothing's bearing weight opposite that tab, then there's going to be movement in the back of the seat. If you sit very forward, you might not notice it.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Right. - but do you see those 2 fat rubber bumpers on the left and right side of the seat? 
THOSE are the main supports for the rear of the seat. If you do not move the corresponding plastic bracket to the correct hi or low position, as HawkGT mentioned - then those 2 HUGE FAT rubber bumpers will have NOTHING to support them!

The 2 tabs at the rear of the seat are "bonus" tabs for security. The center one is to lock/latch it in place. The one to the right is to assist with locking it in place and make sure you are sticking the tab in the right hi/low hole position.

The rubber Cap doesn't support the rear lh side of the seat, because it's not designed to do that. It's sole purpose is to block access to the latch mechanism.

It is, what it is. The Japanese designed it this way. THEY felt that the seat is supported adequately when it's installed correctly.
Those HUGE FAT rubber bumpers are about 6 inches from the back of the seat. When the seat is correctly mounted, and I assure you, my seat is correctly mounted, it has 5 supports under it. There is no question that it was designed this way but that does not help those of us that use the high position and sit on the very back of the seat. 

The "bonus" tab on the right side that you referred to offers real support to the back right of the seat. There is no center support as when the seat is latched you can still push the seat down further. 

[video src=http://vid86.photobucket.com/albums/k94/bmacrc46/IMG_0440_zpstsolz3cf.mp4]

Linchpin- if your seats are loose, they're not installed correctly. The rubber cap you're missing isn't going to help.  
-Skip
No, it's not loose, just wobbly as everyone has said and as the video posted in this thread shows. (Thanks BMAC) I have the bracket in the right tabs set for high position, there should simply be another bumper under the back left of the seat by the latch. I guess that's why my dealer thought that was the cause of the wobbly seat. (Missing cap) 
Once on the bike the wobble isn't bad at all, so I'll just deal with it. Great bike otherwise, have to watch the snatchy throttle, first time in A mode nearly bucked me off when I goosed her.

Just went out to the garage and moved the seat up to the high position and yes bmac I do see if you only apply pressure to the left corner it does move as you say, but if you have any weight in the center of the seat it compresses the rubber bumpers and any left side wobble is greatly reduced. That's why when seated most people don't notice it, cheers.
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

Just went out to the garage and moved the seat up to the high position and yes bmac I do see if you only apply pressure to the left corner it does move as you say, but if you have any weight in the center of the seat it compresses the rubber bumpers and any left side wobble is greatly reduced. That's why when seated most people don't notice it, cheers.

This---^

I guess what it boils down to: is YMMV.
I'm gonna go ride now.
8-)

BMAC - I get it. Mine does the same. It just doesn't bother me as the rear portion of the seat is partly hidden by the passenger seat. I tend to also sit in the middle or the front depending on the road I'm riding.

I'm mulling about a possible solution, but need to check some things first.

-Skip t

• Premium Member
Here is how I fixed mine with a couple pieces of high density foam. Soft foam will not work.
Kind of ghetto right now, but wanted to see if it would work. Note the green foam under the plastic adjuster.
be8c6e5d-4adc-4732-a156-e7f002bd09a8_zps1wbu6adq.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks to all who for adding their knowledge! I re-read the manual regarding this and think I have solved my wobbly seat syndrome.

My situation may be different from others. My seat is set to the low position. Previously, with the wobbly seat, if I shook the rear clutch side of the seat up and down with my hand the seat would work itself loose as the "bonus" 5th support came out of the slot. My issue was that when inserting the tongue at the front of the seat, I pushed the seat too far forward causing the 5th support to sit in the slot marked with "H". For low seat setting, the 5th support should be in the lower slot, not the "H" slot.

Out of curiosity, I then set my seat to the high position and checked the 5th support was in the "H" slot and no wobbles as well.

One side effect to this is that there is a quite the gap between the front of the seat and the gas tank, at least a 1/4 inch if not more. Those who don't wobble, do you have the gap?

• 1 month later...
The gap is normal. There is still a slight wobble when you aren't sitting on it as the rear tab sits slightly out of the hole. As soon as you sit on the bike, it fully engages and there is no wobble. This is more noticeable with the seat in the high position. It looks like you now have the seat fitted properly.

Thanks to all who for adding their knowledge! I re-read the manual regarding this and think I have solved my wobbly seat syndrome. 
My situation may be different from others. My seat is set to the low position. Previously, with the wobbly seat, if I shook the rear clutch side of the seat up and down with my hand the seat would work itself loose as the "bonus" 5th support came out of the slot. My issue was that when inserting the tongue at the front of the seat, I pushed the seat too far forward causing the 5th support to sit in the slot marked with "H". For low seat setting, the 5th support should be in the lower slot, not the "H" slot.

Out of curiosity, I then set my seat to the high position and checked the 5th support was in the "H" slot and no wobbles as well.

One side effect to this is that there is a quite the gap between the front of the seat and the gas tank, at least a 1/4 inch if not more. Those who don't wobble, do you have the gap?
Great explanation. This is exactly what caused my initial seat wobbles when I set it to high. Once I put it together correctly, no more issues for me. 
I see how the entire seat could flex during high performance riding though. I look forward to getting to that point where the seat flex is holding me back, lol.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• 3 weeks later...

Archived