battery reconnection

2016 fj09

battery died, tried trickle charger but wouldn't hold a charge

purchased new one

when trying to reconnect it - once both leads were attached loud buzzing sound came from the  bike somewhere near the battery.  wouldn't stoop buzzing until disconnected leads.    any suggestions appreciated

Make sure that you didnt install the battery wrong... it has been done many times due to the orientation of the battery... the noise was probably ABS pump. I will try to find one of the threads and post a link here.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

yes the sound is constant EVEN with ignition off

it seems like the negative lead on the bike goes to the positive on the battery??

seems counterintuitive but thats how it seemed to be and how it fits in the battery holder??

• Supporting Member

@jsnj - Based on your description, I’m about 90% sure you have the new battery in backwards.  The battery lays on its side in the FJ/Tracer, and if you try to install it in the standard upright position, you end up with the positive and negative terminals reversed.   It’s an easy mistake to make, and there have been several reports of it here on the forum.   

Once you get the battery installed correctly, you will likely discover that a fuse or two have blown and the bike won’t start.  Don’t panic... it appears that the fuses protect the rest of the bike’s electronics from damage, and you should be good to go after replacing the fuse(s). 

As @duhs10 mentions, there is thread here somewhere with additional details... 

-Scott

FYI - you are looking for a single fuse by itself, probably a large red 40-50 amp one housed in a little rubber bootie near the battery. Follow the smaller red wire to it.

Probably should double check the ETV fuse in the fuse block under the seat as well. That one is for the fly-by-wire system but blows easily when the bike is jump-started or battery hooked up backwards.

HTH

-Skip

• 4 months later...

John - older models can be cleared via the instrument cluster. If yours is 17 or newer, you’ll need an OBDII Scanner and an appropriate Yamaha adapter to clear it yourself. Your friendly neighborhood Yamaha dealer has the correct software on a laptop as well. 

Sorry I don’t have better news,

-Skip

• 1 month later...

What if all the fuses are OK.  Hooked up battery backwards, did not turn key on, then hooked up correctly.   Found the 50 amp fuse  blown replaced it and checked all fuses which were OK.   The engine turns over but no spark!

Help please

How did you check for spark? I ask because it’s not exactly self-explanatory and easy on an engine with stick coil packs so I’d like to know if you’ve checked accurately for spark presence...

Check the simple stuff first: fuel pump connected and runs when key is turned on and switch is in the run position, check the ignition/FI fuses which are located in  another fuse box (IIRC) up front, which will require pulling the fairing plastics off. You may have blown more than the main 50a fuse...

Was anything else apart recently on the bike before the no start occurred?

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1