New bike

• Premium Member

My son bought a Multistrada 950 today. Exciting!! His last bike was an R6. He sold it a couple of years ago. He's been busy with school and work. He graduated last month from San Francisco State and has had a couple of  job interviews.

We were at the dealer this morning. We looked at everything even though he had made his decision. The dealer carries Ducati, Triumph and BMW.  He took it for a test ride.  He came back from the test ride and went in to took care of business. I left and headed up to ride the Berryessa GP.

We played phone tag this afternoon. I'm sure he'll stop by in the morning and we'll go for a ride. No pics yet.

Certainly nothing wrong with the 950 but if I were to ever spend the $$$$ in a Multistrada I'm going for the big boy.. 1200/1260.

Look forward to a little comparison between the Multi and the FJ

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Certainly nothing wrong with the 950 but if I were to ever spend the $$$$ in a Multistrada I'm going for the big boy.. 1200/1260.

Look forward to a little comparison between the Multi and the FJ

I would love to ride both back to back.  I have always liked the Multistradas.

I previously had a liter bike and thought I would be missing a lot by "downsizing" to an 850cc.  After a few seasons with the CP3 motor and the light and agile handling, I have a whole new appreciation for smaller displacement, especially running higher in the rev range. 

Considering what is possible with 108hp, I dont "need" 150hp, but I understand its appeal. 😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, betoney said:

Very nice!  Definitely curious to hear your impressions of the 950.

What a day. Sunshine,  high 50's and spending the day with my son. Doesn't get much better than that.

The first half of the day we rode our own bikes, stopped for lunch and then made the swap.

I've lusted after a Ducati since the air cooled days. Actually since 1980. Started researching bikes back in 08 after not riding for years and came upon the Multistrada.

Anyways, I rode it about 20 miles. It's all that. Very comfortable, good power and just seems refined. Feels like your sitting in the bike. No vibration through the bars, but can feel it in the seat. Kind of a massaging effect. Ha. Weird. Wind screen does it's job. Handles good and all day type comfort. The suspension is awesome. I'm 220 lbs. and stock settings from dealer felt fine. The small bumps are soaked up and the harsh ones are smoothed out. The stock exhaust sounds good. Real good!

So the multi comes stock ready to roll. The only change right now is a tinted screen.

The bad - top heavy and not as flickable as the FJ. I think the multi handles as good as the fj, just takes some getting used to. Just moving both bikes off of the side stand there is a noticeable weight difference. Top heavy. Not sure why.

Where does handlebar vibration come from? How does one bike have none and the other have a lot?

So out the door it's probably 5-6k more than my fj. Is it worth it. I think so.

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

The bad - top heavy and not as flickable as the FJ. I think the multi handles as good as the fj, just takes some getting used to. Just moving both bikes off of the side stand there is a noticeable weight difference. Top heavy. Not sure why.

I think the top heavy feel is from the high gas tank position.

" Though the bodywork and rear section was revamped to match those of its older 1260 and 1260 Enduro brothers, the Multistrada 950’s seat height remains unchanged at 33 inches".

From the photo, it looks like the filler cap would be about mid-chest height.

2019-ducati-multistrada-950-first-look-preview-4.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Side by side the multi is taller. Fuel tank holds a 1/2 gallon more.

The heavy feeling on top is a lot compared to the fj. Not a deal breaker for me. Might be an issue off road.

Yesterday I spent an hour on a "wagon trail". Top heavy and all I wished for a more forgiving suspension like the multi. The Africa Twin that passed me going the other way was probably shaking his head.

Archived