Unused Wiring Leads Under Dash

superfist

• Premium Member

There are a pair of unused connectors behind the dash.  They have connectors similar to the Yamaha heated grips.  These are NOT the connectors used for the accessory power ports, as I have both installed already.

They are the gray connectors with little rubber plugs.  I used one as a keyed power source for a motorcycle dash cam setup.  The input voltage for the dash cam power supply is 9v-28v input and the leads tested at 12v key on and 14v motorcycle engine running.

I'm considering using the second one for a voltage meter.   Anyone know what these leads are supposed to be for?  I just want to make sure they're not going to ECU data or sensor data.  It's just nice to be able to use them since they're complete connectors and I don't have to splice into any wires.

They are all-purpose spares that can be used to connect, e.g., DRLs, sat-navs, and the like.   I cannot comment on any restrictions as to maximum power draw-down.   You can buy on E Bay specific connectors, or do as I did and simply tap-into the wires leading into the grey plug using PosiTaps.

On my bike they power 2 x front LED DRLs: the NavMan sat-nav device: and a digital voltage read-out. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

They are all-purpose spares that can be used to connect, e.g., DRLs, sat-navs, and the like.   I cannot comment on any restrictions as to maximum power draw-down.   You can buy on E Bay specific connectors, or do as I did and simply tap-into the wires leading into the grey plug using PosiTaps.

On my bike they power 2 x front LED DRLs: the NavMan sat-nav device: and a digital voltage read-out. 

Awesome, thank you!

I had a couple of those little copper slips from those old toy motors that run on AA batteries with the tiny in them.  I slipped the wires through the plugged cap, reinserted the plugs with the wires, soldiered the copper leads, inserted them into the motorcycle side connector and then slid the plugged side connector closed. 

So uh... it's a solid reversible modification, but certainly more work than some positaps, lol.

9 hours ago, motopumps said:

Same on a '19 GT?

Rob

That wound be my guess. There is a cover (item 10) below the dash that holds 4 connectors: 1 is for existing DC jack (item #8) while the other 3 are for the second DC jack and 2 spare switched DC output.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.32.29 PM.png

• Premium Member

The connectors I used were :

2  pin MT .090 - 2.3mm Male and Female locking connector  

Comes with Terminals and seals Sumitomo p/n: 6187-2171 and 6180-2181

WWW.CYCLETERMINAL.COM

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type) and MT Sealed type Connectors for .090 - 2.3mm Terminal. These Connector s...

Photo Below:

In the gray connectors BLACK is ground (-) and BROWN(this one has a yellow stripe) is power (+)

For the lights I installed with Black (-) and Red (+) wires I did the following:

Connect the BLACK wire from the accessory TO the BLACK wire in the gray connector.

Connect the RED wire from the accessory TO the BROWN wire in the gray connector  (see photo)

I ran both aux light wires to one connector.  The wires were very small and two fit better than one when I was crimping them into the terminal.

image.png.28beb0b9bf8941f7fc4a97750b8c3fed.png

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Archived