MT09 (FJ) Tracer Steering Wobbling

I have found the steering wobbling, with and without the hard bags. It is less pronounced without the bags mounted.
My riding conditions were a B road with a reasonable surface and high speed (110mph) bends. There were very gusty winds, and I was riding it very hard with the traction control cutting in on occasions. I checked tyre pressures, sag, and damping as well has steering head and swingarm play. The screen was set in the middle position.
I would suggest that this wouldn't really be a problem when riding at a sensible touring pace.
I have ordered a steering damper which should be here soon, which should help to alleviate the behaviour.

• Premium Member
You need to remember the bike is a built to a very low price so the components aren't going to give you cutting edge handling.

If you want a bike to handle well at 180kph, go buy an R6.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

When I road raced a motard, the front fender would catch air and make the front end light. It would head shake over knowles or rough pavement when on the gas. I raises the forks 2-3mm up in the triples which puts more weight on the front end. I would try that first to see if it fixes the wobble.

You need to remember the bike is a built to a very low price so the components aren't going to give you cutting edge handling.  
If you want a bike to handle well at 180kph, go buy an R6.
Or keep my previous scooter..... :D

If this bike was not made to handle well at 180kph, so help me God :D

Guest dmizer
My experience with this has been that the hand guards tend to catch the wind. Since the bars are so wide and the guards fairly large, this would stand to reason. It's similar to the reason why side cases and top boxes tend to cause a wobble as well.

One of the members has removed the hand guards. I suspect this would resolve most, if not all, of the wobble issue.

But if you removed the hand guards, you are still left with mirrors, hands, arms and levers etc. stuck out in the airflow. I would suggest that ha guards are more aerodynamic than whatever is behind them.

Ultimately, I am happy that normal and even spirited riding does not cause any issues. Having fitted a steering damper, my bike is now rock solid no matter how much I try to induce a wobble with harsh acceleration, cranked over riding over lumps bumps and cats eyes, bouncing off of the traction control etc. it still even steers very quickly, but without any nervousness. Even at really high speeds and with Yamaha hard city cases fitted.

I have found the steering wobbling, with and without the hard bags. It is less pronounced without the bags mounted. My riding conditions were a B road with a reasonable surface and high speed (110mph) bends. There were very gusty winds, and I was riding it very hard with the traction control cutting in on occasions. I checked tyre pressures, sag, and damping as well has steering head and swingarm play. The screen was set in the middle position.
I would suggest that this wouldn't really be a problem when riding at a sensible touring pace.
I have ordered a steering damper which should be here soon, which should help to alleviate the behaviour.
I think what you meant to say was 110kph Your honour.. :D

After just two rides on my new FJ I understand the remarks about the front shake. I could feel it starting to occur over 75 mph too. Thinking is has more to do with the front suspension have 1 degree more rake over the FZ. I will be do a fork swap between my FZ (1/2" shorter) and FJ to see if the shake is still present afterwards.

For me the steering damper is the right solution, but very expensive :(

i've adjusted my riding position on high speeds and improved something. Now i put more weight with my body (belly) over the gas tank and don't put my but all the way back, i don´t hide all my helmet behind the windshield, and now don´t feel that much the wooble (except if i rid real hard the shifts).

I´ve increased the shock spring preload and now is harder, because it was almost in the last position (soft) and i'm liking the result.

One of the investments at medium time is as steering damper, but is to expensive...

I cranked down the pre-load on the front forks last night to about 95% compressed. The ride in this morning to work was way better! No shaking at all with speeds as high as 80 mph. The lower end suspension on the FJ (and FZ) really needs to be adjusted for the rider or you will get issues like this. I will be swapping out my FZ Ohlin forks (rebuilt by Ohlins dealer) onto the FJ tonight and see how the feel on Thursday. The FZ fronts are 1/2" shorter so the turn-in will be different; hopefully quicker. Will post up my results tomorrow.

Delnari, your response in this post was valuable to me. I felt the wobble at 75 mph and on up. It would really wake me up if you know what I mean! I was pretty bummed out, because I felt that the condition was really limiting me on the bike. Well doing what you suggested and adjusting the shocks worked. I really took my new (800 miles) FJ through it's paces on a mountain road yesterday and the suspension was quiet. I was taking 80 mph long sweeping turns and felt very comfortable on it. Thanks!
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Sold: KTM Super Duke 990, Ducati 1098S, BMW K1200S, HD Fat Boy, HD Road King Classic, Kawasaki KLR 650