• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

bodywork removal

want to install a hardwired zumo to bike.want to route wires behind bodywork. manual only gives directions for removing the front lower wings. manuals these days seem to say take to the dealer for about everything. i have broken body panels on other bikes by pulling out when should go back first, etc. . you can't tell by feel whether or not it just needs to be popped out, or needs a lateral first. is there a good service manual for the new tracer out there?

• Supporting Member

I don’t know about the new Tracer but if it’s anything like the original FJ, the body panels can seem like a puzzle at first. When I originally bought my FJ, one of the first things I did was figure out how to disassemble it down to the airbox,  I have subsequently done it so many times now I can do it with my eyes closed. 

Have you looked at YouTube for videos?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, harraseeket said:

want to install a hardwired zumo to bike.want to route wires behind bodywork. 

Where are you wanting to hardwire it to?  The auxiliary power plugs should be behind the wind screen. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, harraseeket said:

want to install a hardwired zumo to bike.want to route wires behind bodywork. manual only gives directions for removing the front lower wings. manuals these days seem to say take to the dealer for about everything. i have broken body panels on other bikes by pulling out when should go back first, etc. . you can't tell by feel whether or not it just needs to be popped out, or needs a lateral first. is there a good service manual for the new tracer out there?

I don't own a GT but the service manual from Yamaha is pretty good, at least for all the Yamahas I've owned. Ask your dealer for a copy on a thumb drive. If that doesn't work time to order one online.

Folks are referring you to the front cowling as there are spare connectors left by the factory that are suitable for a gps and you could avoid routing to rear of bike.

If you go to youtube and search for "tracer gt install" you can find a number of videos of folks removing the body panels and/or front cowling for access until you lay your hands on a service manual.

Personally I move my Garmins around between vehicles so usually clean up their provided vehicle harness and add a Powerlet or 2 pin sae connector for a quick disconnect. In the case of the FJ-09 installed a Powerlet outlet in the second panel socket area.

Edited by chitown
  • Thumbsup 1

i had seen references to auxiliary connector, so i need to track that down. and for some reason i hadn't done what i usually do,  which is check you tube, figured bike too new for much info. i have had regular garmins plugged in to the 12v  dc receptacle. but the new givi windshield i put on blocks the receptacle space enough that the massive plug that comes with garmins won't fit  ( and i hate having the huge ball of zip tied wire that the 6' cable becomes ), and having done a lot of research ( and   installing ) on types of cables and plugs, the gps' still randomly shut off. bugie's note about that jack being limited to 2A is interesting, because i have a 12v plug that displays amperage output, and it usually reads around 3.9.

i will definitely look at 4-41 in manual

13 minutes ago, harraseeket said:

i had seen references to auxiliary connector, so i need to track that down. and for some reason i hadn't done what i usually do,  which is check you tube, figured bike too new for much info. i have had regular garmins plugged in to the 12v  dc receptacle. but the new givi windshield i put on blocks the receptacle space enough that the massive plug that comes with garmins won't fit  ( and i hate having the huge ball of zip tied wire that the 6' cable becomes ), and having done a lot of research ( and   installing ) on types of cables and plugs, the gps' still randomly shut off. bugie's note about that jack being limited to 2A is interesting, because i have a 12v plug that displays amperage output, and it usually reads around 3.9.

i will definitely look at 4-41 in manual

My post wasn't mean to be specifically related to the 2A post I linked to. It is part of a thread that contains instructions and pics on how to reach the spare auxiliary plugs hidden behind the GT dash so you can hardwire your Garmin (and any other devices you want)

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1