Bar ends

• Supporting Member

Hi @gomer - I have the Yamaha FZ-9 Bar ends on my FJ after removing the factory hand guards.   There is a threaded insert that you’ll have to remove from the bars after taking off the guards... it comes out with a big hex drive (12 mm I believe).    Once that insert is removed, the FZ-9 bar ends thread directly into the stock FJ bars.

It’s a nice modification, and I really prefer my bike without the big batwing hand guards.    

• Thumbsup 2

26 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @gomer - I have the Yamaha FZ-9 Bar ends on my FJ after removing the factory hand guards.   There is a threaded insert that you’ll have to remove from the bars after taking off the guards... it comes out with a big hex drive (12 mm I believe).    Once that insert is removed, the FZ-9 bar ends thread directly into the stock FJ bars.

It’s a nice modification, and I really prefer my bike without the big batwing hand guards.    

Correct. FZ 09 ends work and are heavy steel so less vibration. It also looks way better. IMG_21.thumb.jpg.36d6940beb2b57864f7ec7c0a794e4cd.jpg

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, gomer said:

Thanks guys, a 12mil hex drive may cost more than the ends.

Not necessarily... here’s the way I worked around that same issue: 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, gomer said:

Thanks guys, a 12mil hex drive may cost more than the ends.

$6 USD free shipping. 

https://www.amazon.com/Eklind-14624-Long-Hex-L-Key/dp/B005IUA2EG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

texscottyd's solution is pretty common, sometimes you can find coupling nuts that make decent substitutes at a local hardware store, but a decent hex socket set is worth the investment once you start putting wrenches to bikes. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, texscottyd said:

AGREED ,,!!!

• Thumbsup 1