Rear Suspension on the GT

I always leave the suspension nearly standard as the bike comes, but I always adjust the static sag !!!!!!!!

On standard setting the bike has NONE !!!! had to back off the preload 7 clicks towards soft.... is this normal on this model ?

I have fitted a 20mm lowering kit at the rear and dropped the forks 7mm at the  front. ?

The bike handles great. But the centre stand grounds going over road speed humps at even 10 miles an hour........only slightly but really bad with a pillion.

I know I can turn up the Pre Load when taking a pillion, but am more concerned about the static sag at the rear is 7 clicks going to make it 

to soft ?

Cheers Edgar Jessop. 

Edited by edgarjessop12

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, edgarjessop12 said:

I always leave the suspension nearly standard as the bike comes, but I always adjust the static sag !!!!!!!!

I know I can turn up the compression damping when taking a pillion, but am more concerned about the static sag at the rear is 7 clicks going to make it to soft ?

You don't know how sad that statement makes me when I read it.  so many missed opportunities. ☹️  To me, that's like leaving the seat, mirrors and steering wheel in the factory position in every car I drive.

Concerning the rear shock, it doesn't have compression adjustment, rebound and spring preload only.  If static sag is un-achievable with the current springs, - solo or with passenger, a different weight spring is about $120.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You don't adjust the preload for static sag. You want to adjust it for rider sag (or rider and pillion/rider and luggage, whatever the bike is carrying). When the rider sag is set, you should have around 10mm of static sag. If you don't, you need a different spring.

• Thumbsup 1

Cheers Guys,

I am 72 years old and have had 28 bikes, I have done Track Days as well. This is the only bike I have had a problem with,

and sorry must have had a senior moment when I said I can always turn up the compression damping when taking a pillion

this bike does not have any adjustment, I meant Pre Load. First Yamaha still learning.......... love the bike , but the build quality

is crap.  

Cheers Edgar Jessop.

@edgarjessop12 It is a budget bike,eh. Have to expect Yamaha to cut some corners, like the simple minded TC and ABS. Agree with you regarding some of the plastic body parts, though; one of the plastic tabs on the body fairing ( the one the turn signal is attached to) came pre-broken from the factory on my bike- and the one on the other side broke during reassembly - guess it doesn't need 'em- nothings flown off yet at speed- but I think I'll have to invest in some crazy glue if those panels are coming off frequently....

• Thumbsup 1