which EBC HH Brake pads, FA252HH or FA380HH?

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
The OEM brake pads are just ok IMO, so I am shopping for EBC HH sintered pads for the front (don't use the backs much, so stock is fine), as that is my go to pad with great initial bite.
The problem is which EBC pads to buy?
I found a reference to FA252HH pads on an FZ forum, and also the FA380HH pads (claim to have same backing plate size). So what is the difference, thickness, material?
Any FZ-09 owners here care to share their experiences?
I know there are other great brake pads out there, but I prefer the EBCs, so lets limit the advice to ONLY these please (a little noisy at times I know, but love the initial bite).

Looks like the FA252HH pads have an anti-squeal shim and the pad material is one piece.
Looks like the FA380HH pads have no anti-squeal shim and the pad material is two pieces.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I was looking at pads on the EBC website earlier today! They only mention the FA252HH, not the 380's for the MT's FJ/FZ's. My previous Yamaha used the 252's and have been very happy with them - have a spare set in the drawer, so when it is time to replace I'll be fitting the EBC FA252HH. I haven't found them to be that noisy, the last set in that bike were another brand and the squeal was very bad.
Sorry no help for you in the comparison, not tried the 380's, it's 252 for me.

• Premium Member
this Ferodo catalogue is a useful resource as it cross references pads from different makers in chapter 7 - EBC are on p7002/3

your two EBC part nos. cross reference with a single Ferodo pad so I'm sure both will physically fit.

I've no idea which if the 2 pads is more suitable for you, but the Ferodo pads I have in my hand match the cross reference and do not have any shims. 

It would be easier if EBC used a better taxonomy - with Ferodo you get a single pad identifier with a suffix to tell you the compound type. 

Like you, I have viewed photos on google and as in this Ebay sale from Busters, all I can see on the one type is a drilled shim. 

If they are the same price get the ones with the shim and bin it if you don't need it.

My 2p, the OE pads are fine. Are you 300lbs in weight?

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Just a WAG, but might one of the part numbers be for EBC HH 'kit pads', for racing applications?  I recall that back in my roadracing days, there was a special set of EBC HH kit pads for my SV650.  Even with the stock calipers and master cylinder, that bike would stop on a dime with change back.

Maybe that's the difference between the part #'s?

• Premium Member
this Ferodo catalogue is a useful resource as it cross references pads from different makers in chapter 7 - EBC are on p7002/3 
your two EBC part nos. cross reference with a single Ferodo pad so I'm sure both will physically fit.

I've no idea which if the 2 pads is more suitable for you, but the Ferodo pads I have in my hand match the cross reference and do not have any shims. 

It would be easier if EBC used a better taxonomy - with Ferodo you get a single pad identifier with a suffix to tell you the compound type. 

Like you, I have viewed photos on google and as in this Ebay sale from Busters, all I can see on the one type is a drilled shim. 

If they are the same price get the ones with the shim and bin it if you don't need it.

My 2p, the OE pads are fine. Are you 300lbs in weight?

300 pounds, ah, no. 180 lbs. Didn't you know that I am a racer? Just ask anybody that rides with me. crazy_zpsrqn3rp81.gif 

All kidding aside, I just prefer the initial bite of the EBC HH pads. Put them on all my bikes. Nothing wrong with the stock pads I guess, but they don't have the stopping power of the HH pads. I prefer the sport, in sport touring.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Just a WAG, but might one of the part numbers be for EBC HH 'kit pads', for racing applications?  I recall that back in my roadracing days, there was a special set of EBC HH kit pads for my SV650.  Even with the stock calipers and master cylinder, that bike would stop on a dime with change back. 
Maybe that's the difference between the part #'s?
Back in my road racing days, oh wait, that never happened. 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gif Seems the FA380HH is a later model used on later R1s and FZ1s. Looks like both will work. More to come I guess.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
My 2p, the OE pads are fine.

I just prefer the initial bite of the EBC HH pads. Put them on all my bikes. Nothing wrong with the stock pads I guess, but they don't have the stopping power of the HH pads. I prefer the sport, in sport touring.
I used to run EBC HH pads on my SV650S.  That bike had reasonable brakes out of the box, but like you I liked the initial bite of the HHs a lot better.  I thought they did better in rain, too, but that might have been my imagination. 
I kept with the stock pads on the Daytona because, well, that thing was a braking fiend anyway, one finger from any speed.  Why mess with that?

The FJ ... we'll see.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I'm 260 with gear on... and also believe in the "sport" part of sport tourer.  :D  I use EBC "Green Stuff" pads on my cars/trucks with "yellow stuff" for track days.  I like the initial bite, and think I will upgrade to the EBC pads when I wear down the OEM ones.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Archived