Alaska Sheepskin Seat Pad

Does anyone use an Alaska Sheepskin seat pad?  Thinking I’m going to try one and wondering if they help on high mileage days?  The woman was super helpful to talk to on the phone so that’s a good start. I was noticing that a lot of airliners use sheepskin on the pilot/copilot seat. Must mean something?  

I have a set, I don't use it always, but I do sometimes on a long ride. I'd put the benefit as "ok", not "wow!". The one thing that gets me is that on long saddle days I like to stand up on the pegs to get a bit of circulation. When I do that and the butt pad is on the bike, sometimes it flops around, or the wind folds it over, and then it's a PITA to get it sorted out when I sit down.  So I do carry one on each bike, but use them sparingly. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I have one for my bike. I only have one 2 hour ride on it, but it made it more comfortable, and cozy! The only thing I didn't like was on the strap the plastic buckles are too far out and rub on the paint. I cut the straps free from the buckles and extended them inward under the seat about 2" on each side. now it looks better and won't scratch the paint 

tl;dr

While the Alaska stuff is well-made and some love it it had no benefit for me so sold mine after a 6k trip with it. Also not a fan of anything gel.

===

I do endurance riding on everything from stock seats to $500 customs to dirt bike seats.

Anything that changes the pressure points helps for awhile though. Thus, any seat that's level and doesn't have too well defined of a bucket is helpful as I can change positions a bit throughout the day.  Gel tends to pack and retain heat. 

Have used Airhawk, Sargeant, Corbin, various bicycle shorts and apparel etc. At this point if spending more than $50 will just wait till ready to do a ride in appointment with a custom seat maker with whom I can test the seat during the process and have adjustments made before it's covered. Since I'm west coast have done that in the past with Bill Mayer Saddles (run by one son, Rocky) and Rick Mayer (the other son who went north and last I heard wasn't in the biz any longer). Both good for the half ton any day.  

On a budget, there are inexpensive inflatable pads that store flat in luggage for part of the day then can be in/deflated to various degrees throughout the day to change the pressure points. Think I still have the one I paid $25 for from ShadeTree 15 years ago when I toured the DRZ and couldn't bring myself to put a custom on it :)

Edited by chitown
typo
  • Thumbsup 1

I have a KonTour seat on my FJR and absolutely love it. I can do back to back 1000 mile days and never think about the seat or my butt. The sheepskin idea intrigues me so I’m thinking of giving it a try on this bike. I guess the good news is it isn’t a permanent mod so easy enough to take off if I don’t love it. Went ahead and ordered one from Alaska Sheepskin and the woman was incredibly helpful on the phone. Made it feel good to do business with her. 

23 hours ago, chitown said:

. Since I'm west coast have done that in the past with Bill Mayer Saddles (run by one son, Rocky) and Rick Mayer (the other son who went north and last I heard wasn't in the biz any longer). 

Yeah, Rick (RMS)  has retired from the industry. I have one of his custom saddles on my touring bike and I love it. Rick was a polarizing figure, with questionable business ethics. He left more than one rider with a lighter wallet, and no saddle.

One of Rick's former employees, Seth Laam, spun off a business when RMS started doing less-than-straightforward business.  Seth's saddle philosophies align very much along the Mayer saddles. Super comfy, and (to my eyes) more aesthetic than Russel day-long. I had Seth do my custom saddle for the FJ-09, and it is every bit as good and comfy as the one Rick did for my BMW. 

Seth is also in the Redding area, not far from where RMS used to be. He's also a great guy and makes good company as he works on your custom saddle. I recommend his services. 

Edited by maximo
Added more info
  • Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current