Startup button, failing?

Hi 

I have an FJ09 2016, 28,000 kms. Yesterday, on city commute, when stopping the motor for any reason, and trying to turn it on again, the switch was not working. No action at all... After trying 2 or 3 times, switching off and on the key, it worked back again. As if maybe the turn on button could have a false electric contact... 

Any ideas? 

Edited by alquimista

• Premium Member

The contact between metal surfaces within the switch could be lost.  I've seen it happen in winter when the metal contracts.  One of those maddening problems that goes away after the repair shop brings the bike into the garage and it warms up.  You might try turning it on and off with the inconveniently located key and see if the problem persists.

or...

A similar thing happened with the fuse box on my 1982 Yamaha Vision - in the cold the copper parts would lose contact with the fuses.  I had to replace the box with inline fuses.

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

I had problems with the high beam/flash button on the left side handlebar and sprayed contact cleaner inside the switch, pressed the switch frequently and the problem went away. I presume you've got a similar problem with your switch, small amounts of dirt or corrosion on the switch contacts.

Something like this would help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Servisol-701-100UK-Super-10/dp/B000KEB6WW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2CBFC7BJO89HF&keywords=switch+cleaner+spray&qid=1581888519&sprefix=switch+cl%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

Another thing to perhaps consider is your battery condition.  How old is it?

My bike would behave in a similar way for a while and I had no idea of what was causing it either.  It wasn't until I replaced it that the issue you are describing 'went away'.

This may not be your issue but worth considering.  Check your battery voltage with a meter if possible.  Anything getting down around and under 12V is a concern.

• Thumbsup 1

+1 on cleaning the switch. Strip it very carefully, there are one or more teeny little balls and springs to give you that 'click' feeling. You could have anything from missing contacts to 6lb of caterpillar cocoons.

• Thumbsup 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

Thank you all for your answers 👋

Took it to the shop today. Turned out to be the clutch sensor, in the left side of the handbar. Was very difficult to remove, as small screws there were extremity tighten from factory. Maintenance was done with anticorrosive liquid... And that's it. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, alquimista said:

Thank you all for your answers 👋

Took it to the shop today. Turned out to be the clutch sensor, in the left side of the handbar. Was very difficult to remove, as small screws there were extremity tighten from factory. Maintenance was done with anticorrosive liquid... And that's it. 

Glad you got it sorted. 👍

• Thumbsup 1