Weird popping sound from rear

Exandriel

Randomly noticed if I take weight off the rear by pulling up on the passenger grab handles then push down on the rear i get a pretty decent pop sound from the rear end. Couldn't pinpoint exactly whats popping but it sounds like its from the front of the swingarm / shock area. Just a weird noise I hear when i'm fiddling with the bike and am curious what it is, bike has about 20k miles and was high sided on the right at around 11k so maybe the frame is bent and causing some weird compression on parts? Haven't noticed anything to strange about the bike since the accident but am always paranoid about stuff like this.

Could it be the spring reseating? If you extend the shock then as it compresses again the spring twists slightly? Try lubricating each end of the spring with WD40 and see if it still happens.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Exandriel said:

Randomly noticed if I take weight off the rear by pulling up on the passenger grab handles then push down on the rear i get a pretty decent pop sound from the rear end.

The bike is screaming "BUY ME A QUALITY REAR SHOCK!!!" 😲

• Haha 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

20 hours ago, BBB said:

Could it be the spring reseating? If you extend the shock then as it compresses again the spring twists slightly? Try lubricating each end of the spring with WD40 and see if it still happens.

I think this might be what it is definitely sounds like it's coming from the shock. 

19 hours ago, betoney said:

The bike is screaming "BUY ME A QUALITY REAR SHOCK!!!" 😲

Been thinking about a new rear shock since I'm assuming it can't be serviced, thinking bout new fork cartridges too. Any recommendations? 

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Exandriel said:

I think this might be what it is definitely sounds like it's coming from the shock. 

Been thinking about a new rear shock since I'm assuming it can't be serviced, thinking bout new fork cartridges too. Any recommendations? 

Well, lets be clear-  I was being sarcastic and am NOT recommending you need to spend money and replace your shock.  With that being said, if you were already thinking about upgrading the suspension, there are many members here (myself included) that can help guide you in your decision. 

For me, suspension is the #1 performance mod to do on any bike, not only will it allow you to ride much faster through corners and in greater comfort but it will allow you to ride safer as it directly affects braking and handling.  Contrary to popular internet myth, suspension upgrades are NOT just for riding fast on the track, in fact I would argue that the opposite is true.  The average track bike already comes with decent fully adjustable suspension whereas the average street bike - especially those aimed at beginners, come with very budget components that are limited in their adjustability.

Some of the more popular shock options are Ohlins, Penske, Nitron and K-Tech and for drop-in fork cartridges, Ohlins, K-Tech, Nitron, GP Suspension, Traxxion and Andreani.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***