How to removing surface scratches from fairing?

So I have a 2019 tech black, except its not all black.  Half of you will disagree but I'm not a fan of the electric blue (or blurple as I've read it referred to here).  I want a stealthy look, which is why I removed the blue decals on the fairing.  Used rubbing alcohol and a soft t shirt to remove glue and was left with this on the R side (bizarrely not the L despite the same method).  I've seen a few fixes online but nothing concrete.  Any suggestions.  See photo attached.

And on another note, if one were to change the rim color to black on the cheap, is plasti-dip the only option?  Please keep in mind I live in Switzerland so things are already expensive here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_5387 copy.jpg

Edited by d1sable
Hadn't completed my post

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, d1sable said:

And on another note, if one were to change the rim color to black on the cheap, is plasti-dip the only option?  Please keep in mind I live in Switzerland so things are already expensive here.

I would NOT use Plasti-Dip on the rims, it is a temporary solution and not extremely durable, it is made to peel off.  For the rims you will want to get them powder coated which is extremely durable.  Available in many colors and finishes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, d1sable said:

Thanks for your input.  I had read that it was a cheaper solution to powder coating but could last up to 3 years.  Not true then?  Likely to peel off easily?

It will get damaged every time you swap the tires and get dinged up by normal use and could get ugly looking if you have parts of it chipped up and missing. 

Im not sure how well plasti-dip holds up to washing but my rims get very dirty and if the plasti-dip has a coarse surface it could hold all of that dirt.

Ok.  Yes just did some additional research and the jury is out on whether its a viable alternative.   I suppose I knew the answer already- buy once cry once as they say....

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, d1sable said:

Ok.  Yes just did some additional research and the jury is out on whether its a viable alternative.   I suppose I knew the answer already- buy once cry once as they say....

Do it in the winter time when the bike is in hibernation, that way you can take your time and not miss any riding.

For the paint, I have two ideas.

1. Get some car wax that has coloring in it.  I think it might be Turtle Wax.  They sell it in Green, Red, Blue and probably even Black.  The idea is that you wax the area and don't rub hard there.  The colored wax will fill in the scratches and last for awhile before you need to do it again.
  2. There's a product called "Black Again" that might help.  It's primarily for grayed out plastics.  It activates with UV light in the sun.  I think it would do okay there too.  Just put a little on and then wipe it off.  
  • Thumbsup 1

For a lasting color change on the wheels you could have them powder coated.

Have you thought about vinyl wrap to cover the blemish on the panel?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, d1sable said:

I removed the blue decals on the fairing.  Used rubbing alcohol and a soft t shirt to remove glue and was left with this on the R side (bizarrely not the L despite the same method).  Any suggestions.  See photo attached.

IMG_5387 copy.jpg

Is that just glue residue or are those scratches?  If it is just glue, then try Goo Gone or other adhesive remover.  Don't forget to remove that safety warning sticker as well.

• Thumbsup 1

They look like proper scratches, probably from having some grit in the cloth. You don’t really have many options from here, they’re all going to involve some form of surface coating, like wrapping, painting or if you’re lucky the coloured wax mentioned above.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for the input.  Kind of hoping the scratches will fade during the summer, although that leaves me with another problem.  Will see if I can find some appropriately colored wax.  Vinyl wrap seems excessive for such a small area, however may have to revisit the idea if wax doesn't do the trick.

Maybe find a graphics decal that appeals to you, to cover the spot?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I'm curious if you used a heat gun to remove the decals, I have heard that using a heat gun (or hair dryer) will remove all the sticky stuff with the decal, and leave the nice finished paint behind. Anyone tried this?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, DavidS said:

I'm curious if you used a heat gun to remove the decals, I have heard that using a heat gun (or hair dryer) will remove all the sticky stuff with the decal, and leave the nice finished paint behind. Anyone tried this?

Yes, right after purchasing the bike I removed all of the safety stickers using a heat gun and a flat plastic scraper to lift the edge of the sticker, the edge is similar to a credit card.  The stickers came right off with most of the adhesive.