Rear Wheel Bearing Kit Question

Hope everyone are well and safe. Have to replace my rear wheel on my '17 FJ-09. Does anyone know if the rear wheel comes with a bearing kit, or does it need to be ordered separately? It is a three week wait for Yamaha part here at the moment, and would like to know. The local shop where I ordered it says some wheels come with bearings and some don't, which does not help me obviously.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fj09viking said:

Hope everyone are well and safe. Have to replace my rear wheel on my '17 FJ-09. Does anyone know if the rear wheel comes with a bearing kit, or does it need to be ordered separately? It is a three week wait for Yamaha part here at the moment, and would like to know. The local shop where I ordered it says some wheels come with bearings and some don't, which does not help me obviously.

I looked on a few parts fiche and it didn't indicate whether bearings were included or not, neither did they mention the inclusion of valve stem, center spacer or oil seals.  I would 'assume' all of those parts are sold separately or you would transfer them from your old wheel, do you have a bearing puller? 

Just curious, why do you have to replace the rear wheel?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

33 minutes ago, betoney said:

I looked on a few parts fiche and it didn't indicate whether bearings were included or not, neither did they mention the inclusion of valve stem, center spacer or oil seals.  I would 'assume' all of those parts are sold separately or you would transfer them from your old wheel, do you have a bearing puller? 

Just curious, why do you have to replace the rear wheel?

Thanks Betoney. That was the conclusion I came to after looking at what was probably some of the same sites. Good news is that the local shop says they can get aftermarket bearing kits with next day delivery, and I will not have to wait three weeks for Yamaha bearings. 

I made a rookie mistake. Have had rear wheel and brake caliper off lots of times and probably became a little complacent. I replaced brake pads and made sure brake pads where seated properly initially after sliding pads and caliper back in place.  Inner pad came unseated when I wiggled caliper around ever so slightly to line up bolt holes and I failed to notice. In the past I had found that if pads were not seated properly, the bolt holes will not line up. Turned out to be an expensive assumption. I did not hear any grinding noises or anything unusual, so I rode about 100 miles before pulling over, and noticed brake rotor looked hot and figured it must be the new pads. I  bent down to have a look and noticed damage to the wheel and the fact that the brake pad was not seated and rather dragging on wheel. Between mine and my friends tools we got the brake pad back in it's position and I was able to ride home.   The pad left a track about 1/4" wide and 1/16' deep. That is close to half the thickness of the wheel I am guestimating. I contacted a wheel repair place, sent pictures. The manager said he can have it welded and sanded, but was honest enough to tell me that he could not guarantee integrity of wheel, or that it would be straight when finished, plus the repair would have been expensive as well. So I decided not to take any chances and ordered a new wheel. Sucks, but only have myself to blame. Since then I had the bike up on centerstand with bike idling in first while trying out my new Cobrra chain oiler and noticed rear wheel is warped about 1/4', and confirmed my decision to get a new wheel.

Ouch! £570 for a new wheel on this side of the pond. Any chance you could cancel the order and pick up one from a breaker?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 minutes ago, BBB said:

Ouch! £570 for a new wheel on this side of the pond. Any chance you could cancel the order and pick up one from a breaker?

A little cheaper here. $650 CDN with tax. I found some used ones on eBay, but really beat up and/or corroded. I am guessing that because it is same wheel as FZ-09, they are hard to find used in good condition. As mentioned it is an expensive lesson, but I am planning on keeping the bike for years to come, which eases the pain of this unscheduled investment a little it.