FJR09 June Shakedown

keithu

• Premium Member

Since I have my FJ-09 pretty much prepped for the Butt Lite Rally in September, it's time to do some longer distance test runs. This weekend is unusually free on my calendar, so I've been planning to do a long ride this weekend to test all of my mods. I've changed my plans a few times because the weather forecast isn't great; I guess Oregon decided that March and April weren't long enough so Spring weather has been extended into June. 

Butt... I must be prepared to ride even in sub-optimal weather, so I'm going. I plan to leave my house in Albany around 5:00am or so, and below is the route plugged into my GPS. I'll be riding this clockwise, going out to eastern Oregon and then down into California, passing through Redding, up to Happy Camp, and then back home in the evening along I-5. If I do the whole thing it will be 1014 miles according to Basecamp, but this loop has plenty of "bug out" opportunities where I can cut things short and head for home if I don't like the weather or something. Or I can just get a hotel somewhere. 

I'm also testing my Spot tracker. If anyone wants to follow along you should be able to do so at this link:

Click the "Mid-June Test" link on that page. There won't be any data until I leave Saturday morning (June 13). But once I depart it should ping the satellite about every ten minutes. 

Wish me luck!

20200613-NorCal.png

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member

@keithu - Good luck on the ride, I have been on all of those roads several times and they are all nice, even that section of I-5, in fact its extremely scenic all the way down to Redding. 

I haven't had the chance to ride Northern California yet this season, I am envious.  Once you head North out of Willow Creek toward Happy Camp make sure to put her in A-mode and wring her neck, I'm sure you are aware of the stretch of road I am talking about. 😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

@keithu Good luck on the ride, I Once you head North out of Willow Creek toward Happy Camp make sure to put her in A-mode and wring her neck, I'm sure you are aware of the stretch of road I am talking about. 😎👍

Yep. The only stretch of road on this route I've never ridden is the road through Christmas Valley. I actually expect that to be kind of boring but at least I'll be able to say I've ridden it.

My original plan was to go to the NE corner of Oregon and ride the Wallowas because I've never been up there. But the forecast for that area is rain all day and maybe even some snow. Probably best to avoid that.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, keithu said:

My original plan was to go to the NE corner of Oregon and ride the Wallowas because I've never been up there.

This whole area is AMAZING, as well as almost every road connecting to this area.  Rattlesnake Grade, from Enterprise, Or to Asotin, Wa is worth the effort alone. 😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, keithu said:

Since I have my FJ-09 pretty much prepped for the Butt Lite Rally in September, it's time to do some longer distance test runs. This weekend is unusually free on my calendar, so I've been planning to do a long ride this weekend to test all of my mods. I've changed my plans a few times because the weather forecast isn't great; I guess Oregon decided that March and April weren't long enough so Spring weather has been extended into June. 

Butt... I must be prepared to ride even in sub-optimal weather, so I'm going. I plan to leave my house in Albany around 5:00am or so, and below is the route plugged into my GPS. I'll be riding this clockwise, going out to eastern Oregon and then down into California, passing through Redding, up to Happy Camp, and then back home in the evening along I-5. If I do the whole thing it will be 1014 miles according to Basecamp, but this loop has plenty of "bug out" opportunities where I can cut things short and head for home if I don't like the weather or something. Or I can just get a hotel somewhere. 

I'm also testing my Spot tracker. If anyone wants to follow along you should be able to do so at this link:

Click the "Mid-June Test" link on that page. There won't be any data until I leave Saturday morning (June 13). But once I depart it should ping the satellite about every ten minutes. 

Wish me luck!

20200613-NorCal.png

I've been tracking your ride throughout the morning as I shift chores around the house. At this moment you're sneaking up to Redding, and I'm excited on your behalf for the stretch that awaits you! 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximo said:

I've been tracking your ride throughout the morning as I shift chores around the house. At this moment you're sneaking up to Redding, and I'm excited on your behalf for the stretch that awaits you! 

The progress has stopped in Burney, Ca for over an hour and a half. 🤷‍♀️  I hope there isn't a flat tire or other mechanical issues.

**EDIT** It looks like it only pinged 2 other times between Burney and Willow Creek.  Otherwise, making great time.

And currently in Happy Camp. Pray Bigfoot doesn't get him. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

4 hours ago, betoney said:

. 🤷‍♀️

**EDIT** It looks like it only pinged 2 other times between Burney and Willow Creek.  Otherwise, making great time.

I wonder if that was a Spot thing or operator glitch. If the former, it would be a significant concern. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, maximo said:

And currently in Happy Camp. Pray Bigfoot doesn't get him. 

Already back in Oregon near Grants Pass, only 3 hours to go! - 👍

• Thumbsup 1

Looks like the Spot only pinged 3 times between Happy Camp and Medford. I'm really interested to see the post-ride analysis to see what this is about.

Also, Medford means a little over 3 hours left, which means @keithu will have been riding from 5am to 10 pm, all through roads that demand full attention. Mad respect for this feat. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, maximo said:

Looks like the Spot only pinged 3 times between Happy Camp and Medford. I'm really interested to see the post-ride analysis to see what this is about.

Agreed, several inconsistencies in the tracking.  Some of that area is very remote, with no tracking for a full hour that could mean a lot of area to cover in a search.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Howdy folks! I'm home, had a great ride. I was able to find some dry weather in California, it was nice.

Not sure what is going on with the Spot tracking; I'll need to research that but it does seem buggy.

Tired, going to bed now. Pics and report in the morning.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, keithu said:

Howdy folks! I'm home, had a great ride. I was able to find some dry weather in California, it was nice.

Not sure what is going on with the Spot tracking; I'll need to research that but it does seem buggy.

Well done!  I've been following along with you.  Sleep well...you must really need it by now!!

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, keithu said:

Glad to hear that you made it back safe.  I followed throughout the day and looking forward to the report tomorrow.👍