M4 Slip-ON Installed without Removing The Centerstand

pry4ski

I'll let the pictures do the talking. I had to do a fair amount of cutting with an an angle grinder and dremel tool to get all the clearance needed. The only pieces that needed trimming was the mount on the right side leg for the rubber stop, the piece it rest against when the stand is up, and bottom of the right hand side leg if the stand. I have not had a chance to ride yet, but I will update when I do. Hopefully all the clearances are good.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0042_1.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

• Premium Member
I'll let the pictures do the talking. I had to do a fair amount of cutting with an an angle grinder and dremel tool to get all the clearance needed. The only pieces that needed trimming was the mount on the right side leg for the rubber stop, the piece it rest against when the stand is up, and bottom of the right hand side leg if the stand. I have not had a chance to ride yet, but I will update when I do. Hopefully all the clearances are good. 

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0042_1.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Good job. That shows it is doable with minimal effort. I may do this myself. Thanks. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The engineer in me is reluctant to grind on metal if possible, so do you think I could bend the bracket using a sledge without having to grind?
If not, I will grind away. How much clearance did you end up with? Looks like 3/8 inch between the bracket and the muffler. Again, thanks for "cutting" ground on using this slipon.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The engineer in me is reluctant to grind on metal if possible, so do you think I could bend the bracket using a sledge without having to grind? If not, I will grind away. How much clearance did you end up with? Looks like 3/8 inch between the bracket and the muffler. Again, thanks for "cutting" ground on using this slipon.

Doubt it could be bent. The only reason I cut the pieces I did was because the pieces do not have any structural support.

After a 30 min ride and every thing settled there is about a 1/4 inch gap.

What did you paint the exhaust with? I like the all black look

VHT exhaust paint.
I always hated the shiny exhaust pipes on grey FJ-09 so while I had the exhaust apart figured I would paint it. I'm really happy with the way looks now.

The engineer in me is reluctant to grind on metal if possible, so do you think I could bend the bracket using a sledge without having to grind? If not, I will grind away. How much clearance did you end up with? Looks like 3/8 inch between the bracket and the muffler. Again, thanks for "cutting" ground on using this slipon.
Hahaha "the engineer in me wants to bash it with a hammer". Priceless ;)

• Premium Member
Hahaha "the engineer in me wants to bash it with a hammer". Priceless ;)
A hammer is for sissies. A sledge is for men. amazon_zpsfidrgfkm.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for this awesome post pry4ski! Oh yeah, nice CR, BTW!

I decided to dump the center stand, so I only had to clearance the 'fixed' center stand stop bracket. I just took a 4" angle grinder and cut the inside of the bracket, then I was able to easily bend both of them out a bit.

Doubt it could be bent. The only reason I cut the pieces I did was because the pieces do not have any structural support.

I agree, it's 'boxed' so it is quite stout.

JhAKt3S.jpg
lJqL7O3.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I installed mine yesterday. I don't know if they changed the design on the pipe slightly, or if mine just fits a little differently for reasons I can't explain, but it would not fit with the center stand. I had to grind off so much from the stop bracket on the stand that there wasn't enough left to hold the rubber piece, and it still would not clear the muffler. Even if it would clear it horizontally, the stand itself would hit the muffler. It needs about 1/2" in length added to the stop to keep the stand down far enough to not rest on the muffler. Looks like I'll be cutting the bracket completely off the stand and fabricating something different today.

Archived