Hard Saddlebag video review and demo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks for the video demo on the hard bags, trench; useful and interesting. The bags appear to be almost identical in terms of mechanism to those on my earlier BMWs - except that on the FJ (Tracer) they come with the bike instead of being an $1100 to $1200 add-on!
Nice job!
L of S

Very informative video.  Too bad about the locks requiring a unique key.  I was going to say that Yamaha makes a lock which works with the ignition key: http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=15&categoryId=64&itemId=877   but it only works for the top case.  I installed one on my Yamaha 50l top case.  The lock kit comes with 4 different sized tumblers and you get quite a few extra ones.  

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=15&categoryId=64&itemId=817

Wonder if the side case locks can be cracked opened and then replace the existing tumblers with the extra tumblers from the single lock kit?

Bubba, somebody has done this! Look at the how to's thread.

1 question trench!
Would you say if the rubber tip on the lateral bag supports (behind the passenger foot pegs) could and will come loose and fly off if you intend to only fit the bags when you go travelling to get away from the wife & kids?
I ask this because I clearly remember the Ducati pannier setup is exactly the same. However, the rubber tip can come loose and fly away....fly away birdie...fly..fly...
I should stop taking drugs and just buy the bike.
Please confirm this for us?
Thanks trench!
Cheers,
Steve

• Premium Member
Do you happen to know if the price on Yamaha's website is $400 for both bags or just one? They don't really specify in the description and the dealer has yet to call me back.
Just one, there are different part numbers for each side.  Add rack mounts and locks you're looking at very close to $1000 total. 
These things always seem to cost more than they should to me, on the other hand I really like the relatively clean look of the bike with the stock bags off versus the plumber's dream of the Givi systems I've used.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Just got mine on really like them a nice video by the way! The only thing I wish I didn't have to carry separate key.
You don't.  You can take your tumblers out and re-key the lock to accept your ignition key.  Simply rearrange the pins in the tumbler so that when the key is inserted, the edges (top and bottom) are flush with the tumbler.   If you end up with one end or so that stick up regardless, you can file them down flush. 
I did this, and now my ignition key fits the bags and the 50L top box.

1 question trench!
Would you say if the rubber tip on the lateral bag supports (behind the passenger foot pegs) could and will come loose and fly off if you intend to only fit the bags when you go travelling to get away from the wife & kids? Cheers,
Steve

Steve- the rubber tip mounted on the supports is supposed to be glued onto the metal "post" when you install the supports. I use yamabond 5, or any good automotive grade weatherstrip adhesive.

skip

I ordered the saddlebags for my FJ, and they didn't even mention that I needed the brackets or the locks... Looks like I'm gunna have to start hookin' to afford them.
I'm glad you guys know whats going on with these bikes and are so willing to share the info. :D
Great review btw! I was really curious how they worked since nobody was able to tell/show me at the dealer.

That's him! Vespadaddy did this!
I knew he wouldn't be far from here!
Good work daddy! Clever, smooth.
I recall you said the tumblers themselves are soft enough to file down? Is this correct? As long as you don't lose the springs?
Could you please describe how to remove the locks within the cases. You may have already done this.
Cheers,
Steve

Do you happen to know if the price on Yamaha's website is $400 for both bags or just one? They don't really specify in the description and the dealer has yet to call me back.
Just one, there are different part numbers for each side.  Add rack mounts and locks you're looking at very close to $1000 total. 
These things always seem to cost more than they should to me, on the other hand I really like the relatively clean look of the bike with the stock bags off versus the plumber's dream of the Givi systems I've used.
Thanks Jim! I was afraid that was going to be the answer haha. I guess I will start saving my pennies. 

Archived