Engine temperature in rain.

Riding last week I got caught in a torrential downpour, ambient temperature about 20°C, and notice the engine temp went down to 55°C.

Today riding in heavy rain the engine sat at 60° normal riding at 40 - 60 MPH, ambient temperature about 15°

Riding in hot weather was fine, upto 38°C engine temperature sayed between 80° and 106°C

This seems strangely cool running in certain conditions.  The only times I've encountered engines than run this cool is when a thermostat has stuck open.

Booked in for 600 mile service for next week, mentioned this to the dealer (salesman) who said it was normal, of course he did.

Can anyone else confirm they have noticed this behaviour.

I got temperature Gauge dipstick installed, our all year tropical weather, noticed temp does not climb very high, unless am riding on 38-40c high noon on traffic Stops, than the needle surge but after a 10min ride, it drop back down rather quickly. 

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/28/2020 at 1:20 AM, WKE002 said:

I got temperature Gauge dipstick installed.

That's a pretty neat idea to cross-check what the instruments are saying. Do you have a link to the product you use?

I guess there are two questions here: Is the oil within temp limits and what is the impact on the temperature of the engine components? Checking the oil limits should be straightforward, but working out the impact on the engine, well, I have no clue how you might do that.

Here is the link, do note tracer gt, not sure prior gt, we have plastic cover to cover the clutch, hence need to remove it prior be able to screw it in. I have it installed on my previous ride, triumph bonneville too. 

in my tropical climate, it’s good to check once a while when riding long distant, so far did not fail me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373106914228

• Thumbsup 1