Alternative Niken GT tires

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
On 4/14/2021 at 2:44 PM, pelayo said:

I will never use the original tyres again. First set were ok,  but the second one was rubish, specially the front ones. I looked like a car with oversteering problems in every corner, sliding the front everywhere feeling like Marc Marquez without his balls and talent. Not a good feeling. I got less than 2500 Km from both sets for ridding up and down all day in a very agresive tarmac during sumer time. Center of the tyre were like new in both sets when changed. I will try the Pirellis for the summer.

Only 1553 miles  / 2500 km  on the fronts? So far I'm at 2525 miles /  4064 km and my fronts have 3.8 mm remaining in right front, 2.5 mm in left front,and 3.8mm remaining in the rear.

I'm also in riding mode = 2 with TCS =1 as my daily setup.  However I'm not very aggressive with the throttle.  

Also unusual higher left front tire wear is probably because here in the US we drive on the right hand side and do more right hand turns. Be curious if Niken riders in countries who ride on the left see greater tire wear on the right fronts.  

8DEFEBBF-5C64-4BBE-937D-25F98877BDBC.jpeg

38D2413E-4B39-4527-8429-43007336C1EA.jpeg

38C9DFAB-DA90-428F-953C-161F07839513.jpeg

FD61D958-B146-47A8-813E-F978922FD276.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Google search on how  long do scooter tires last came up with a result from Modern Vespa site indicating average life of 2k-6k miles or  3k-10k km.  

Front tire wear on scooter tire may  just be that low...

2019 Niken GT

3 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Interesting aspect about the proper stored speed rated tires for the Niken, it would appear that there's only one seller of V rated tires for the front  tires and that's the Bridgestone A41s. 

Found the following table at a website that shows tire speed ratings. 

TileArticleSpeedRating_600-300.jpg

Tire speed rating is the max speed tires can safely carry the weight of your...

The H rated tires are for speeds up to 130mph while the V rated are Rated for 149. 

Here in the US I can never get anywhere close to H rated speeds (much less V rated speeds) unless I'm on a racetrack, which I doubt the Niken can even  hit 149mph due to its large front end aerodynamics.  

Incidentally - anyone ever test the top speed of a Niken?

Yes the top speed displayed was 134 mph which will have a real speed of 129mph which is the speed the niken is electronically restricted to .

38752850-CFF3-48C9-B84E-BB175F70B6C2.png

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

Fastest I've ever done at a track was 119 mph on a  ninja ZX-6E.  But the wind buffeting  was so bad at that speed. Couldn't tell if it was from the aerodynamics of the ninja or if my tires were out of balance.  

Is that 129mph an actual testimonial? 🤔

2019 Niken GT

120 mph indicated wide open in 6th is all mine will do. Wouldn’t pull redline in top gear. I might be able to do a little better staying in 5th. That front end is pushing a lot of air at high speed. 

Fastest I’ve ever done was 160 indicated on my K1300s. It was still accelerating hard at that speed in top gear with about 2,000rpm to go to redline. That thing was amazing. 

On 6/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Interesting aspect about the proper stored speed rated tires for the Niken, it would appear that there's only one seller of V rated tires for the front  tires and that's the Bridgestone A41s. 

Found the following table at a website that shows tire speed ratings. 

TileArticleSpeedRating_600-300.jpg

Tire speed rating is the max speed tires can safely carry the weight of your...

The H rated tires are for speeds up to 130mph while the V rated are Rated for 149. 

Here in the US I can never get anywhere close to H rated speeds (much less V rated speeds) unless I'm on a racetrack, which I doubt the Niken can even  hit 149mph due to its large front end aerodynamics.  

Incidentally - anyone ever test the top speed of a Niken?

Yes the top speed displayed was 134 mph which will have a real speed of 129mph which is the speed the niken is electronically restricted to .

38752850-CFF3-48C9-B84E-BB175F70B6C2.png

• Thumbsup 1

In the interest of science ,I conducted a speed test today with a GPS Speedo attached on a closed road of course .Mine easily pulls up to 125 mph and continues up to 131 mph according to the gps.LCD screen was showing 137 mph .I am also using superlube  x1 in my niken now and have seen a good increase in average mpg 51 mpg on the last 4 tankfuls and I was not being careful to achieve this .

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, Ferrett847 said:

In the interest of science ,I conducted a speed test today with a GPS Speedo attached on a closed road of course .Mine easily pulls up to 125 mph and continues up to 131 mph according to the gps.LCD screen was showing 137 mph .I am also using superlube  x1 in my niken now and have seen a good increase in average mpg 51 mpg on the last 4 tankfuls and I was not being careful to achieve this .

Is this a non GT or GT version? Of course, science. 

2019 Niken GT

3 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

Well, now I'll have to take another run at this. Next time I'll hold off on the shift into 6th until closer to redline in 5th.

If it helps anyone changing tires I did snap a picture of the rear with the mudguard removed. The trickiest part is the ABS sensor can't be accessed until the guard is loose from the four bolts that hold it on. Then the entire assembly can be rotated around the rear wheel and set aside.

IMG_1903[11852].JPG

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, jetpilot5 said:

Well, now I'll have to take another run at this. Next time I'll hold off on the shift into 6th until closer to redline in 5th.

If it helps anyone changing tires I did snap a picture of the rear with the mudguard removed. The trickiest part is the ABS sensor can't be accessed until the guard is loose from the four bolts that hold it on. Then the entire assembly can be rotated around the rear wheel and set aside.

IMG_1903[11852].JPG

Very helpful to know. Thank you.  

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a 1500 mile update on the pr4 gt and pr4 scooter tyre combination .So a mixture of riding conditions and I'm happy to report no issues whatsoever and the tyres still look like new .You can tell the gt rear has a stiffer carcass so I've softened the compression a little and all's good .There's been no slides on wet white lines or tar snakes even cranked over .The only area I did notice is that the releasing agent does take longer to wear off .I've not even had the traction control kick in which did happen a lot on the A41,s.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Am definitely leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Roads when it comes time to swap. 

2019 Niken GT