Sticky clutch

• Premium Member

This is completely pilot error, but I'm putting it here so no one makes the same mistake. 

Basically - I reinstalled the handguards for the winter but overtightened the nut under the clutch lever pivot. I had 0 free play and I was dragging the clutch.  Loosened it and adjusted the clutch free play at the lever and at the clutch. 

It's weird to me that Yamaha bolted an accessory to a critical part but, oh well. There is a spacer between the clutch and the handguard mount that can be tightened (works like the mirrors) but that was clamped down, too. 

10 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

This is completely pilot error, but I'm putting it here so no one makes the same mistake. 

Basically - I reinstalled the handguards for the winter but overtightened the nut under the clutch lever pivot. I had 0 free play and I was dragging the clutch.  Loosened it and adjusted the clutch free play at the lever and at the clutch. 

It's weird to me that Yamaha bolted an accessory to a critical part but, oh well. There is a spacer between the clutch and the handguard mount that can be tightened (works like the mirrors) but that was clamped down, too. 

What year ? On the 2020 GT handguards only attached to the mirror mount and bar end. Never seen any that would use the clutch pivot as a mount ! That would be unsafe!

MIKE

On 10/12/2020 at 2:11 PM, GTO MIKE said:

What year ? On the 2020 GT handguards only attached to the mirror mount and bar end. Never seen any that would use the clutch pivot as a mount ! That would be unsafe!

MIKE

Lots of bikes do that, including V-Stroms, DR650’s and 400’s, etc. 
there’s a primary nut, located just under the pivot of the lower portion of the lever perch -  which is responsible for the tightness of the lever (which 1more tightened). Then the lower bracket mounts on to the pivot bolt ( with washers) which is then secured by a second, loc-nut. 

nothing unsafe about it, IMHO - when it’s tightened and greased/lubed correctly.

-Skip

45 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Lots of bikes do that, including V-Stroms, DR650’s and 400’s, etc. 
there’s a primary nut, located just under the pivot of the lower portion of the lever perch -  which is responsible for the tightness of the lever (which 1more tightened). Then the lower bracket mounts on to the pivot bolt ( with washers) which is then secured by a second, loc-nut. 

nothing unsafe about it, IMHO - when it’s tightened and greased/lubed correctly.

-Skip

Got it but like you said ,got to mount it correctly!