• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Longer Clutch Cable

BrianG

While I understand that the R1 cable is somewhat longer than the OEM FJ 09 cable, I have changed my handlebars and would like a clutch cable that is substantially (maybe  +6") longer than the original.

Does anyone know if there is such an animal available from some other Yamaha model, or perhaps even from a different marque?

1 hour ago, BrianG said:

While I understand that the R1 cable is somewhat longer than the OEM FJ 09 cable, I have changed my handlebars and would like a clutch cable that is substantially (maybe  +6") longer than the original.

Does anyone know if there is such an animal available from some other Yamaha model, or perhaps even from a different marque?

Motion Pro makes custom length cables.  So does Terry Cables.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs...

Edited by whisperquiet

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, BrianG said:

I have changed my handlebars and would like a clutch cable that is substantially (maybe  +6") longer than the original.

Just how tall are the bars you installed that you need +6" longer clutch cable?  If you need a +6" clutch cable then for sure you will also need longer throttle cables and brake line as well. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 hours ago, betoney said:

Just how tall are the bars you installed that you need +6" longer clutch cable?  If you need a +6" clutch cable then for sure you will also need longer throttle cables and brake line as well. 

The new bars have more sweep and some drop,  rather than the rise of the OEM bars. This changes the angle of the clutch perch upward, and forward requiring a re-routing of the cable around the right side of the steering head and a different cable arch than that provided by the elbow housing at the upper end of the OEM cable . A mock-up suggests that 6" more length will do it. 

With a little re-routing, the current wiring,  front brake line and throttle cables well accommodate the new bars. 

Edited by BrianG
  • Thumbsup 2