AIS disable

peteinpa

I've done searches, didn't find the answer. 

My ECU is back from 2WDW and the AIS is disabled. I've also heard that the valve can still leak so I should still do a physical block off. Thats not my problem. I want to know if the solenoid can be removed and the wire connector taped and left hanging. Will this set a code?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, wa__shawnnn said:

AIS hoses plucked off with stock ecu w/o flash. Will it affect engine start up and idling? Any long term adverse effects?

AIS injects air into the exhaust to help burn off exhaust gasses (think emissions), so the only longer term issue might be a fouled up catalytic converter. Not sure how long that would take to affect performance. Won't affect how the bike runs until then.

My tuner recommended that I leave AIS active in my original flash, when I still had the original exhaust system on the bike.

Edited by piotrek
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

AIS was around on bikes long before catalytic converters, they do work together but they aren’t both needed to make each other function. Plenty of bikes with only one system. Most cars don’t run a AIS system with cats as well.

I have unplugged the AIS system on a Xtz660, Fz6, Mt09 Tracer all without issues. Most with over 100k km on them.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

AIS was around on bikes long before catalytic converters, they do work together but they aren’t both needed to make each other function. Plenty of bikes with only one system. Most cars don’t run a AIS system with cats as well.

I have unplugged the AIS system on a Xtz660, Fz6, Mt09 Tracer all without issues. Most with over 100k km on them.

Could well be mostly true. I took guidance from Kevin (kevxtx) and then again from David at Vcyclenut.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

39 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Could well be mostly true. I took guidance from Kevin (kevxtx) and then again from David at Vcyclenut.

The reasons AIS is usually disconnected is that it creates an annoying popping and backfire when used in conjunction with an aftermarket pipe. More importantly it interferes with the correct air fuel reading whilst tuning bikes as it as you say injects fresh air into the system and makes the air fuel ratio appear leaner than it actually is.

Seems strange that tuners would opt to have it activated. I never did in almost 20 years of dyno tuning. And they are usually a pain to have to reconnect them after tuning.