Any issues with upgrading to 530 Chain?

bwringer

I searched but didn't see this covered.

Chain life seems to be really bad here in FJ-land. On other powerful bikes, it's been very well proven that moving from 525 chain to 530 on a 100+ HP bike costs only a minor amount of money and weight, but the chain will last AT LEAST half again as long.

A measly 1/8" wider may not seem like much, and the tensile strength specs are close to the same, but in the real world it makes a huge difference in longevity. On a V-Strom 1000, 20,000 miles or less is typical with 525 chain, 35,000 miles and more are typical with 530.

A little poking around on the JT Sprockets website reveals that 530 sprockets with the same spline and bolt patterns are easily had (look for XJR-1300 parts and adjust the number of teeth to taste.)

FJ-09:

XJR1300:

I've never seen this cause an issue on other bikes.

What say ye? Anyone here running 530 chain and sprockets?

Should I do it... FOR SCIENCE?

Edited by bwringer
Fixed link and alternate model
  • Thumbsup 1

As far as pricing, there's usually not much difference between 525 and 530 if you shop around and buy the parts separately, but things change around a lot, especially chain prices

With JT sprockets (rubber cushion front) and gold EK ZVX3 chains (all top-notch goodies in my experience), the 530 setup actually ends up slightly cheaper at the moment; I think the 530 chain is on sale or something. The front and rear 530 sprockets are about $1 and $2 more expensive, and the chain was $114.61 vs. $127.

That's stock 16/45 gearing, buying a standard 120 link chain and cutting to fit, and using the provided rivet master link. EK also sells a nifty screw-type self-riveting master link for $12 or so if you don't like riveting the old fashioned way.

Chain prices move around a bit; if you put them in an Amazon List and keep an eye out you can catch some nice deals.

530 JT/EK parts from Amazon (right now, anyway...): $171.05

525: $180.79

At Sprocket Center right now, the same combination is $218 for 525 chain. They don't list a 530 setup for the FJ-09, but on another Yamaha model with 530 chain, it comes out to $248.95 with a plain front sprocket. So even buying as a package, the difference isn't bad at all.

I'm fairly sure the chain on my bike is original, so this is a decision I'll likely need to make soon...

• Thumbsup 2

12 hours ago, bwringer said:

I searched but didn't see this covered.

Chain life seems to be really bad here in FJ-land. On other powerful bikes, it's been very well proven that moving from 525 chain to 530 on a 100+ HP bike costs only a minor amount of money and weight, but the chain will last AT LEAST half again as long.

A measly 1/8" wider may not seem like much, and the tensile strength specs are close to the same, but in the real world it makes a huge difference in longevity. On a V-Strom 1000, 20,000 miles or less is typical with 525 chain, 35,000 miles and more are typical with 530.

A little poking around on the JT Sprockets website reveals that 530 sprockets with the same spline and bolt patterns are easily had (look for XJR-1300 parts and adjust the number of teeth to taste.)

FJ-09:

XJR1300:

I've never seen this cause an issue on other bikes.

What say ye? Anyone here running 530 chain and sprockets?

Should I do it... FOR SCIENCE?

One thing to consider is that the OEM chain, although made by D.I.D. is not of very good quality as compared to what you can buy in the aftermarket.  At least this was my experience.  D.I D. makes some excellent chains but any time an OEM buys parts from a vendor there are often concessions in order to make a price point.  The best example of this is tires.  A good quality 525 chain should be all you need.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Good point; just upgrading to a better 525 chain (with quality sprockets, of course) is also a very safe bet.

FWIW, I always prefer gold chains because they help encourage me to keep things relatively clean and well-tended.

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, bwringer said:

Good point; just upgrading to a better 525 chain (with quality sprockets, of course) is also a very safe bet.

FWIW, I always prefer gold chains because they help encourage me to keep things relatively clean and well-tended.

Yeah I am going with a gold 525 chain next as well, and I personally don't see any reason going up to a 530. 

After spending some quality up-close time with the OEM chain, which is pretty shagged, I've ordered a much higher quality EK 525 chain, sprockets, and sprocket and countershaft nuts.

The clearances under the sprocket cover between the sprocket and the chain guides are mighty tight on this bike, so I'm not sure whether a bulkier chain would cause problems; 530 chain uses the same link spacing, of course, but the chain plates are thicker and beefier.

I'm also not sure a thicker front sprocket would work out OK; the nut on the countershaft seems to sit exactly flush.

In any case, I won't need to think about it again for a good long time now. The stock basic DID chain has two failed o-rings at just under 22,000 miles, so as long as the EK beats that I'll be happy.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1