FJ-09 first 600 miles

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Engine break in procedures are akin to witchcraft, and date back to an era when engines were not made to the high tolerances that they are made today.  

The engine would be the last thing to go on a bike.  Most are crashed or antique status before the engine ever hits 50k .

There is is a lot of misinformation out there that gets eaten up by newb riders and the mechanically disinclined. There will almost certainly be a detailed thread in the near future of the owner and his oil change at 100 miles, 300 miles, etc. accompanied by oil analysis charts.  

If that is part of an enjoyable ownership experience for you by all means enjoy yourself.  But the engine wont last any longer or perform any differently.   Take it easy for the first few miles, and then ride it like you stole it.   

Hi Puddles
Tks for the the ride report and pictures.  Hope your journey is still going well - much envy :)
Just a quick question, what's the Brand/Model of your seat/tail bag?

I'm currently using a Ventura Rack and Bag (made in NZ, sold world wide).  It's a 50 liter (13 US gallons) bag which I find is a handy size for me, but I feel the Rack system sits it too high and too far rearwards which affects handling in the tight stuff.

Your seat bag looks like a good size and nice snug fit - how have you found it for ease of use?
Cheers and good travelling!!
Mick

Great reply to Puddles on new bike riding and running in. It was spot on. Was a great early review. I'm shorter than you Puddles at 5'6" with a 30" inseam but if I need to I will fit a lowering link and pull forks up in the triples.
I'm patiently waiting for the delivery of these bikes here in Melbourne Australia. That will not be till Feb/March 2015 we've been told.
I've been riding for 43 years and currently have '09 and 2012 Vmax's and  2013 Super Tenere (lowered). Spending the kids inheritance while I can still ride.
I've only sat on the FJ-09 (we will be calling it the European name...MT-09 Tracer) at a recent Motorcycle Show in our city and it feels very nice. I've ridden a friends MT-09 and instantly fell in love with that incredible engine but prefer a more tour oriented version like the FJ-09.
I believe one very big mistake from Yamaha is the omission of factory fitted cruise control. Pretty easy for the factories to do these days with electronics and very low cost to them.

Keep your reports coming in Puddles.

Sam

Hi Sam-
Thanks for your post! Good for you for spending the kids inheritance- sounds like a plan! ha!  Cruise control would be nice i suppose...I used a $10 throttle rocker on mine and it was nice to have for sure, since my hands and arms have a tendency to fall asleep and tingle...it was great to have!  I've been looking at the videos out on the MT-09 Tracer... very cool.  Cheers and happy roads! Cary - "Puddles" 

Hi Puddles Tks for the the ride report and pictures.  Hope your journey is still going well - much envy :)
Just a quick question, what's the Brand/Model of your seat/tail bag?

I'm currently using a Ventura Rack and Bag (made in NZ, sold world wide).  It's a 50 liter (13 US gallons) bag which I find is a handy size for me, but I feel the Rack system sits it too high and too far rearwards which affects handling in the tight stuff.

Your seat bag looks like a good size and nice snug fit - how have you found it for ease of use?
Cheers and good travelling!!
Mick

Hi Mick, the bad on the back if from "Bags-Connection" a german company, distributed through Twisted Throttle- Here's the one I have: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-evo-cargobag-motorcycle-luggage-system

I love this luggage... it fits my FJ-09 even better than the VFR. It has tons of space, pockets, and extra straps and hooks to tack on a tent.  I am always so amazed how I manage to get more stuff in it than I think I can.   I travel for 2 weeks at a time and it has plenty of room. It fits my KLR 650 too.  I usually leave it on at night and unload my stuff in bags. It's strapped on pretty good and would take a pretty motivate thief to take it. The zippers are pretty sturdy and continue to work after 3+ years of rough off-road/on-road use... little fabric eyeholes that secure the bungee straps on the side - a couple of these have broken, but it doesn't compromise the functionality too much. Although I'm treating myself to a set of factory hard bags- my first ever- I'd buy another on of these in a heartbeat...  I'll keep this luggage for my KLR since they are pretty perfect for dual sporting. 

Hi Puddles,
Thanks for the info on the bag. What I use won't work on the FJ-09. What kind of gas milage did you get on your trip?
Santa Cruz.. Do you get up to Boulder Creek? There is or was an old bar there where an old friend used to hang out. I've forgotten the name of the bar, but his is Leonard and he's still up route 9.
Yamadog
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Great reply to Puddles on new bike riding and running in. It was spot on. Was a great early review. I'm shorter than you Puddles at 5'6" with a 30" inseam but if I need to I will fit a lowering link and pull forks up in the triples.
I'm patiently waiting for the delivery of these bikes here in Melbourne Australia. That will not be till Feb/March 2015 we've been told.
I've been riding for 43 years and currently have '09 and 2012 Vmax's and  2013 Super Tenere (lowered). Spending the kids inheritance while I can still ride.
I've only sat on the FJ-09 (we will be calling it the European name...MT-09 Tracer) at a recent Motorcycle Show in our city and it feels very nice. I've ridden a friends MT-09 and instantly fell in love with that incredible engine but prefer a more tour oriented version like the FJ-09.
I believe one very big mistake from Yamaha is the omission of factory fitted cruise control. Pretty easy for the factories to do these days with electronics and very low cost to them.

Sam

Sam

Hi Sam-
Thanks for your post! Good for you for spending the kids inheritance- sounds like a plan! ha!  Cruise control would be nice i suppose...I used a $10 throttle rocker on mine and it was nice to have for sure, since my hands and arms have a tendency to fall asleep and tingle...it was great to have!  I've been looking at the videos out on the MT-09 Tracer... very cool.  Cheers and happy roads! Cary - "Puddles" 

Great ride report. I picked mine up on Friday, in Western PA, and then rode home, stopping every half hour or so to get in my girlfriend's truck and warm up my hands. My gauntlets were not good enough for the 24 to 33F temperatures on the 280 mile ride home. It look forever, but he is safe and sound.

At only 5'6", I will consider lowering links as well. But only after I lower the front a bit to tighten up the handling. I already have the low seat, and with my 29.5" inseam, I need a bit more than toes down if I stop on a slope or uneven surfaces.

Great ride report. I picked mine up on Friday, in Western PA, and then rode home, stopping every half hour or so to get in my girlfriend's truck and warm up my hands. My gauntlets were not good enough for the 24 to 33F temperatures on the 280 mile ride home. It look forever, but he is safe and sound. 
At only 5'6", I will consider lowering links as well. But only after I lower the front a bit to tighten up the handling. I already have the low seat, and with my 29.5" inseam, I need a bit more than toes down if I stop on a slope or uneven surfaces.
Papadage:  Some thoughts.  I am assuming that the desire for the FJ over a FZ is so you can tour with side bags, a windshield, abs and a center stand for chain and other maint.?  Good choice and sorry the height is too much.  I know the moving of the bike from the seat is going to be a problem for shorter folks.  I have found the moving of the bike while standing is rather easy as compared to my FJR at 660 lbs.  Planning where to stop and adjust the bike location is a problem.  Pratice doing so when your feet are on the ground.  Why?  When you lower the bike you usually make the kick stand too long and it doesn't work.  Also you make the center stand a real chore to get the bike up on it.  By next year you should be able to find a shorter kickstand (you can cut and weld).  I don't know if you will ever find a fix for the center stand.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I know a girl who is 4ft 9inches who rides dirt on a Husaberg and when I say dirt, I mean nasty twisty singletrack that is very technical and she cannot touch toes when sitting on the bike. she simply leans left and touches her left toes on the ground. She freakin rips on that bike and it doesn't slow her down at all, in fact I think it makes her balance more accurately.

redfjniner,

That's exactly why I bought this bike over the FZ, or even the Ninja 1000. I am going to drop it a few mm on the triple tree to sharpen up the handling a bit, and then I'll just take it easy and try to ride it as is. I don't want compromise cornering clearance or usage of the stands, as you pointed out. We'll see how it goes. I only do a bit of riding in the winter, and none after the first big snow, since streets become really bad hazards around here once the sweepers stop running. I'll have plenty of time to get back on the saddle and get used to the taller bike, though riding in town here can get a bit rough with all the pedestrians and cyclists jumping into the ride path all the time.

papadage: Congrats on the new bike, great price. I know you will enjoy this mount and may find that you don't need to do any lowering after you have ridden it for awhile. After I modified the suspension on my FJR, it raised the bike 3/4", I was on my toes, but found that I could manage everything except backing up quite well. I don't need to speed up the steering FJ, in fact I was thinking of putting the GPR steering stabilizer that I bought for the FZ on this bike. It works really well when you are on relatively straight Highways for lots of miles. The GPR 4 unit is relatively easy to adjust to 0 from the seat, so it can be changed even on the fly for tight twisty roads. Again, congrats on the new bike.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Hey Puddles,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of your initial experiences with the bike.  I really enjoyed reading your comments and learning about the bike through them.

I have one question.  Reviewers are mentioning the throttle can be a bit abrupt, especially in A and Standard modes. What is your impression of this?

Thanks again,

James

Archived