FJ-09 first 600 miles

Not having a chance to ride a FJ-09, or FZ-09 I cannot comment on the throttle actuation on them but on my FJR with throttle-by-wire in Sport mode it is pretty sensitive to throttle input, but after time you do adjust to it.

My snowmobile also has throttle-by-wire and at first it seemed sensitive, abrupt as some may say, but after some time with it, it is fine, less fatigue as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a rider of a Nija 650 for a few years, I found the FJ-09 throttle to be very tame in Standard mode. The twin in the Ninja is much more snatchy in parkign lots, and more jerky in roll on. I rode it all the way home, over 280 miles, with a ton of stops to warm my hands, and found it very easy to modulate from the first few miles.

Hey Puddles, 
Thank you for the comprehensive review of your initial experiences with the bike.  I really enjoyed reading your comments and learning about the bike through them.

I have one question.  Reviewers are mentioning the throttle can be a bit abrupt, especially in A and Standard modes. What is your impression of this?

Thanks again,

James
Hi James- I stayed in standard mode the entire time. I haven't tried out the other modes.  I didn't notice this in the twisties when I was getting on and off the throttle and didn't notice at highway speeds either.... i raced small displacement bikes for a few years- so in the corners this has pushed me to be as smooth as possible on and off the gas to keep speed ...not sure if that makes a difference... The only small thing I noticed was when I was on dirt and washboards... getting on and off the throttle seemed a little herky jerky.. but since that is likely to be 1% of the type of riding I'd do on the bike, it doesn't seem super important.. hope this helps... 

Hey Puddles, 
Thank you for the comprehensive review of your initial experiences with the bike.  I really enjoyed reading your comments and learning about the bike through them.

I have one question.  Reviewers are mentioning the throttle can be a bit abrupt, especially in A and Standard modes. What is your impression of this?

Thanks again,

James
James:  If you don't mind me chiming in I can add to this concern.  I have an FZ-09 for which I had to have the ECU re-flashed to help smooth out the throttle as it was very abrupt.  Not a lot of fun to ride.  Afterwards it was awesome.  The FJ-09 is even better and not abrupt at all, I don't know where these comments are coming from.  It is very smooth, silky smooth, as good as the 14 FJR and Super Ten.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

so @puddles ..... what was your favorite part of Baja??

Hi eatpasta- that's hard to say... It's a special place... If I had to call some things out, I'd say the people and how much they love motorcycles and motorcyclists... the wildness of it... The land is beautiful and the agriculture...Now that I've been down as far as Los barilles - I have a much better picture of the whole country...

Guest eatpasta
so @puddles ..... what was your favorite part of Baja??
Hi eatpasta- that's hard to say... It's a special place... If I had to call some things out, I'd say the people and how much they love motorcycles and motorcyclists... the wildness of it... The land is beautiful and the agriculture...Now that I've been down as far as Los barilles - I have a much better picture of the whole country...
If you would have told me that there was that much cactus in the entire world I wouldn't have believed you.... let alone just that flippin peninsula.  When you're looking out on to the islands, you can see the bloody cactus out there too!! 
but yes astonishingly beautiful and the people and food are amazing. 

so glad that you had an awesome trip on your new bike!!!!

Guest eatpasta
yeah if we are going to get into a break-in debate, then we might as well have the oil discussion as well....

:D

I bought my first new car a few years ago in a VW Passat TDI and man the threads over on TDIClub.com you guys wouldnt believe.  On and on for months about proper break in procedure/dont bother.  As I was driving the car off the lot I asked the Fleet Manager about it and he told me the engines are pre-broken in at the factory.
    Is he right?  Who knows.  My wife drives it 99% of the time anyways and she is an exceptional driver - very smooth and easy so Im not really worried.

Archived